Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Air War Homepage

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Erich, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Guys :

From my friend Ed Ragas

Air War Homepage
    http://home.tiscalinet.be/historie/Airwarstart.html

If you want tons of links to web-pages, US, German, etc and discussion boards, magazines, etc.......then this is the site for you. Ed has compiled a wonderful selection to choose from and will continue updating it.

enjoy ! I will..... :D :D

E

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Jolly good show 'ol bean :D :D :D .

One of the few sites I noticed that wasnt listed there, was the site that is in Brasilian, and has a complete or near complete listing of every German pilot who was an ace. It starts out with Erich Hartmann (naturalment) and lists I guess every man who had 10 victories or more. There are a many.

Luckily, I believe Otto added that link to the links page many moons ago. If not, I think I still have it saved somewhere in my emails.

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl, I know the listing that you have mentioned and the one I have goes down to 7 but there are a few pilots with the lesser victories that are not even mentioned, thus making a complete list NOT complete.
    Oh well......

E :D

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I can almost swear that I saw a list somewhere listing them down to only 5 victories, when I can think------ which will be only untill after I move to a new apt at an unspecified time in the near future, maybe I can think of where I saw it at--and hopefully I will have a computer for christmas.

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Down to 5 ? ! That listing would probably be about 5 inches thick then. When I think of JG 52 alone with a total of somewhere around 11,000 victories and JG 51 at 8,000, the listing would be absolutely huge.

E :eek: :eek:

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dont hold me to 5, but thats what I think its down to. But I thought it was interesting when a German pilot wasnt considered an ace till he has 10 victories.

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Interesting this ace thing with the Luftwaffe. The guys I have had pleasure talking with have mentioned that the term ace wasn't used very much. Experten was the perferred term. And that usually was for at least 15 or more kills. This was especially true of the chaps that flew anti-bomber missions during the daylight hours if they coudl make more than a dozen missions without being shot down and flamed.

E

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I didnt know that--I thought it was 10 but Ill take your word on it as I know its better than mine..

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl, an ace is an ace at 5 kills. The guys I have interviewed just didn't make a deal out of it until they were up to 15 or so, unless we would be talking about 1945 where with Allied superiority in the air, then it did make a difference......

E

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Erich, oooops, I had not seen this posting to or I would have replied sooner. What you say makes sense, I guess 5 planes shot down arent really worth bragging about.