Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Airfix P51-D Mustang Build

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by SignalCorp, Jan 20, 2004.

1. SignalCorp

SignalCorp Member

Hey guys,

First time post here, impressive forum.

I've started building a 1:48 P51-D from Airfix, if anyone would like to hear how I get on, what I thought of the kit and instructions, my thoughts etc then I'd be happy to follow up on this.

I've built plastic kits ages ago, went to metal figures (warhammer, historics etc) now I'm back to plastic kits again. This is my first plastic kit in ages so I thought it might make an interesting topic.

If you wanna hear about it, post and I'll follow up!

Best
    SignalCorp

EDIT - It's 1:24 scale, don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that! I've just got myself a free pic hosting service so I'll get snapping!

[ 21. January 2004, 04:34 AM: Message edited by: SignalCorp ]

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

HI Signal,
    Welcome to the forum mate!
    Haven't built any models since I was kid, but I remember building the 1/24 Airfix P-51 back then. That was a job and a half!
    Another one was the 1/48 Matchbox Me109, which was at the other extreme-ridiculously easy.
    Good luck with the kit, and let us know how you get on.

Regards,
    Gordon

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Hello, Signal Corp and a warm welcome here !

Do please keep us posted with your modelling - as one of the world's laziest modellers, I for one am always interested to read/see others' efforts. Who knows, it may inspire me to get going.... :( ;)

4. SignalCorp

SignalCorp Member

Ok, I only get to make a mess of the kitchen now and again but I'll post after I make significant progress.

The first two panels of the instructions tell you to take the two fuselage sections, place a supporting section inbetween them and glue. This is, presumably, for those who don't what to make either the engine or the pilot and cockpit details. I say presumably because unless you read on, as you should always do, then it's in no way apparent.

That small gripe out of the way, I moved on to build the engine. This is how far I'm am now. Please excuse the photo quality, I got the camera recently and I'm just figuring it out.

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/149992/3.jpg

It's progressing nicely with no real problems, cleaning the plastic with soapy water after trimming does ensure the paint goes on really nicely. Maybe could have done with a diagram of the 'other' side of the engine just to clarify where to put what.

Skipping ahead whilst paint dries and glue sets I started to work on the next section at the same time which is to attach more engine parts, exhaust etc and the prop.

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/149992/1.jpg

Easy peasy here, Scotch tape (or low tack masking tape) to get a nice straight line for the yellow flashes, then paint the black. Maybe could have done a white undercoat for the yellow as it took about 4 coats to get a decent colour.

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/149992/2.jpg

Not a great picture but this is the exhaust, it's causing a small problem. They don't fit together very well and when they stick out (of the manifold, is that the right term?) you can see a very evident join. I may use milliput to fill the gaps, I may prise them apart and use poly cement rather than cement weld.

That's about it so far. Any of you guys used cement weld much? This is the first time I've used and have not had much luck. It seems to dry very quickly so using it on larger parts is very difficult. It also seems to need a large contact area. So I revert to the messier but more reliable cement. Any tips?

Well, that's it for now, I hope those links work, another first experiment with 'free pichosting'

Best
    SignalCorp

[ 21. January 2004, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: SignalCorp ]

5. Mahross

Mahross Ace

SignalCorp - A warm welcome. I would love to hear about your kit. I am the opposite of martin i'm the world's busiest modeller :D I've got about 10 projects on the go. Just got to finish them. Let us know how yours go.

Ross

6. SignalCorp

SignalCorp Member

So here's where I got up to lately.

The engine is finished up to the standard detailed in the instructions.

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/150840/0.jpg

The final stage was to place the engine on the green support with the diagonal mount underneath, at the same time the silver coloured struts (I'm not sure what these would equate to in real life) had to be placed. This was quite tricky and I could have done with an extra pair of hands. The best way was to place the diagonal mount in between the engine and large mount, cement the engine in place, then cement the diagonal mount. The struts were a right pain, the didn't bend the right way (they have to line with the cooler (Not sure if that's right) along the top at the front. In the end I just manhandled them in the right direction and had to clip a bit off the ends.

If you can see the silver part that hangs down from the engine about half way along, this is best left right to the end to cement as it it precariously connected. The instructions tell you to cement much earlier on.

On to the rest of the prop and nose cone.

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/150840/1.jpg

These parts went together well with no problems, again I used a few pieces of Scotch tape as a guide for the straight line across the nose, painting the silver first. I should have learnt my lesson with the yellow flashes and undercoated the red section behind the blades though! One thing here, the instructions do not suggest painting the nose cone prior to construction. I saw that painting afterwards would have been very tricky so I do suggest painting the nose before sticking it all together.

That's it for a while, I'm not going to have time to model for a good few days now. If anyone has any tips or suggestions I'd really like to hear them, maybe along the lines of adding more detail to the engine? I'm not really up to speed on what Merlin engines looked like!

Best
    SignalCorp

7. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr