Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Albert Nicoletti, 105th IR, 27th ID. Pacific

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by keith A, Feb 2, 2015.

1. keith A

keith A Member

This guy is a S/Sgt given a battlefield commission on 1944. Despite some very harsh and partisan accounts of the joint US Army/USMC operations in the Pacific he must have been a considerable soldier. Can anyone supply details of his career? I assume he was in the National Guard given that he is a native of Brooklyn. He is described in terms that indicate he was pretty much of a hard character.

Lt. Nicoletti from Brooklyn, received a battlefield commission & took over Wpns Platoon. He was an “Al Capone.” Liked to clean Japs out caves.Shot a lot of prisoners.

Regards

Keith

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

interesting..I'm sure there were more than you think like that

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Presuming I have the correct Albert Nicoletti, here is his Electronic Enlistment Record. The ASN of 42052495 would suggest that he was not in the National Guard. According to the Wiki (caveat emptor):

On the other hand, he was from NY, the 105th was a NY NG unit before being federalized, so it's possible that he was indeed in the NG prior to federalization and there is another reason for the ASN being in the 40000000 - 49999999 series. Perhaps the "special circumstances" have something to do with it.

keith A likes this.
  4. keith A

keith A Member

Thanks chum,

I found further mention of him in the book Battling for Saipan by FA O'Brien. He was indeed a native of Brooklyn, NY but his name was Angelo D. Nicoletti. In 1944 he was a 24 year old SSgt leading 3 platoon, 2nd battalion, 105th IR and it was from there that he probably gained his battlefield commission and command of weapons platoon. I am assuming he was a pre-war NG enllistment but he isn't recorded in the rolls for 1940. No further details. I assume he survived WW2 but no details as yet.

best regards

Keith

5. keith A

keith A Member

Further to my search....Nicolette (or Nicoletti), Angelo David of 27th ID is awarded the Silver Star by G.O.60(1944), probably for action at Saipan. Another mention is for a Silver Star awarded in the Korean War to Sergent Angelo David Nicolette so he may have re-enlisted and served as an Nco despite his commission in 1944?.