Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Album

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by Dan714, Aug 7, 2010.

1. nachtjager61

nachtjager61 Member

PR collector,
    I think your knowledge of medals is very impressive and I hope you continue to let us know your opinion on these things and I would never be afraid to ask your opinion on any medal that I may purchase. your are a great resource and you should be praised for your help.
    I started collecting german WWII medals back in the early 70's when the medals did not cost enought to make quality repros. I remember when Iron Cross 2nd class went for $15 to $20 and the IC 1st class was $30, they could not repro these well enough at this price to make it worth doing. My Uncle has been a huge collector since the mid 60s, he is a vietnam vet and he introduced me to John R. Angolia. Angolia sold me a lot of my collection. When I bought one of his books, which he autographed for me, he also sent me a 20 page list of medals he had for sale and the prices were great. Needless to say I had over a hundred medals by the early 80s when quality repros started to hit the market. Even then, original Assault badges were selling for $25 to $30 and Iron Cross 1st Class was still under $50. I sold my collection to help pay for college in the early 80s and when I looked into collecting again I have been amazed at the prices now. With the prices so high it has become very profitable to make repros that are of pretty good quality.
    I admire you for coming on this post to help Dan out and to educated the rest of us, it is extremely helpful. Your knowledge of the repro market is a super great resource and I bet it has taken you years to acquire such insight.
    I hope you don't feel that anyone has killed the messenger, I admit it is hard to take finding out something is a repro, it has happend to me before, I bought some assault badges that I could have sworn were good and when I showed them to my uncle he tried in the best way he could to let me know they were fakes. I was crushed and more embarassed than anything.
    I think it is great to have you on this site and the forums to help us with your vast amount of experience on medals and I would always consider asking you about any potential medals purchase knowing that your experience and knowledge on the subject is so great.
    I bet you have learned some of this the hard way yourself and your expertise is greatly appreciated,
    thanks for your posts
    cheers, LS

2. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

Thanks for the kind words gentleman. I am a no nonsense guy and I think that comes across the wrong way sometimes. There are far too many 'Experts' around that really do not know what they are talking about...it drives me crazy to see people make comments about things that they are not 100% sure on...it can be damaging. I once witnessed a perfectly good Narvik shield be destroyed because the 'Experts' were telling a guy that it was no good...only one problem...when he got it apart the same 'Experts' then told him that they were wrong and it indeed was OK....so here this guy was with an original Narvik shield that he destroyed at these peoples urging.

When one solicits advise the adviser better be 100% sure of what they are saying...the solicitor is really looking to you for solid advise. The wrong advise can lead directly to the type of result that I outlined above.

Rich

3. Dan714

Dan714 Member

Hi Rich,
    The nerve you struck with me is your use of the word Obvious. I got the feeling you are insinuating I'm stupid. And that will always touch a nerve with me. Why doesn't someone with your knowledge write a reference book about militaria fakes and help someone out who wants to get into this?
    Dan

4. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

I am done with this...hopefully someone else will be able to assist you with the rest of your items. All of the information I provided can be found in good reference material...not a $12.00 book you can buy at Barnes & Noble.

If you are looking for good reference books check out Schiffer or Bender Publishing.

Rich

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Couldnt be worded better and, I have heard of that and similar stories. I THINK I know of the Narvik story because a good friend of mine told me he knew the guy who got shafted. I dont remember who the shaft-ee was? but I know he was a friend of the friend who told me about this.

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Dan, there are many books out there that are writen by collectors. One I can think of off-hand was a book about General Assault Badges which was excellently written by a guy I know, by the name of Frank Heukemes. Others written are books about Knights Crosses-one of which was written by a prick by the name of gordon williamson. I was lied to by this jerk years ago and will never forget about it. He does know something but I will never steer anyone towards buying that piece of trash's books. Another thing about gordie-is that he is well-hated by Knights Cross Recipients because he screwed a few of the over as well. Never sending their originakl KCs back to them but in their place-sending original KCs back-but ones in worse condition.

If you want to know about the Iron Cross, I highly suggest Steven Privateras book on them called: The Iron Time. I think his book was much much better done than gordies book. It may not have a lot o the info that gordies book has but he has info that gordie didnt have.

There are books about PABs, GABs, IABs, Pilts Badges, yadda yadda yada. Ther is at least one book done about the Fallschirmjager Badge by willie zahn-another sphincter-muscle. Another FJ badge book that I heard was in the works as of a few years ago is by a guy who DOES know his stuff by the name of Prosper Keating. Whether or not he ever published a book or not? I dont know?

Lumsdens books suck prune pits and are worthless.

Davis's books are OK but not great. Angolias books are great but a bit dated.

There is another book on KCS done that was done by Dietich Maerz. Ive never seen it but heard nothing but great reviws on it from several collectors. If you going to buy a book on KCs, buy Dietrich's book.

Also, if your interested on German Ribbon bars, The Reverend Mark Hayden wrote one-which was OK at best but very dissappointing. He also did one on German Army Chaplains too. That book was OK, but still lacked at least what I wanted.

There was a book done on Tank Destruction Badges, I forget the authors name but his book was prettty nicely done and is useful. Its called: Tank Killer.

Hope these pointers help you?

Best regards-C.