Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Alright, what did Santa bring everybody ?

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Erich, Dec 25, 2001.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Guys :

I'm curious what everyone received during the last couple of days in the way of great books.......mine are coming this weekend, I hope !

E

2. John Dudek

John Dudek Member

Hi Erich. Merry Christmas! I received a couple of gift certificates to Border's Book store and am looking forward to using them up in the next few days. Hoohaa! I can't wait! I hope the year went well for you and your bride! Best wishes, John. :D :D :D

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Hi JOhn !

Merry Christmas.......ok, you are going to have to tell later what you get from the Border's store......that's the requirement ! :D :D , I've got a couple of them on order. Segfried Beyer's XXI U-boot and Uboats versus Allied Aircraft and one other that knowbody is telling me about. Looks like some belated gifts but that is what happens sometimes. We are both doing great, thanks for asking........
    any others ?

E

4. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Well, I got me 2 copies of Band of Brothers, 4 great books on Waterloo and Sharpes Prey.

Anyway, Merry Christmas people, have fun, dont work too hard.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I had a better Christmas than usual.

Chris Kringle (Santa) gave me a 3 place WK1 medal bar consisting of the 1914 ek2 - Hindenburg Cross :rolleyes: and the Hessen or Bavarian 9 year long Service medal.

I treated myself to a 2 place Medal bar I bought from Detlev Niemann from Hamburg. It has a 1914 ek2 and an WK1 Officers Anhalt-Frederick Bravery Cross in Bronze.

Other than that, I spent time with the family and had an excellent turkey dinner with stuffing, pecan pie, cranberry sauce, bread rolls that melt-in-your-mouth, candied yams, PECAN PIE, fudge (both white and brown) oh and did I say, P-E-C-A-N P-I-E? :D :D :D

[ 26 December 2001: Message edited by: C.Evans ]</p>

6. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Maybe i am reading too much into the last post but would i be right in thinking you like pecan pie a little? :D :D :D

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Pecan Pie !...eeeeekssssss. little allergic to it sorry. Just finished off the last of the pumpkin and then onto the Cheery cobbler....Kirsch Kuchen actually that really didn't set up right. How odd. sounds like a couple of guys got some pretty interesting items.
    My book on the XXI came this afternoon, not bad for 10.00 bucks and Peter Hinchliffe's Schnaufer Ace of Diamonds which is a bit odd. The pics suck as they are way to dark and di not copy well. Have no idea why authors just don;t take the time and laser scan these things as they make much better presentation in the book. some lame understatements of the pics as well with nothing to back them up. Guess I'm being too critical at such an early stage of just breezin through the book. Off to read it this weekend. Looking into 2 out of print books on the U-boat arm over the next week as a pre 2002 celebration.......

anyone else ?

:D

E

8. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

Got a book on the battle of Britain of the brother in law. Not to bad from first glnace, some decent photos.

Is it just me, or do others have relatives that think just because you study military history, any book with war or battle in the title will do. In the past, i have some right school bot efforts. Those large books that cover the whole war from start to end, that tell you what you have already learnt over the years. When all you really want is detailed accounts on certain battles, units or weapons.

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Bish :

I think you have to be really specific if you want a particular title. I don't assume anything anymore, just because I give the title of a book, my relatives ask what is it about or where do I order. It's actually easier if I go ahead and do it myself, although that takes a bit away from the flavour of the season.......buying myself my Christmas presents......uk, but it happens quite often. Though I must say during the year, my lovely wife does pop up with some unusual things from time to time off my wants list.

E

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Stefan, I love Pecan Pie, its my fasvorite, then its Apple Pie, either goes extremely well with or without A'La'Mode.

Erich--sorry 'bout that, I will sure be glad to have your share of all the Pecan Pies from now on :D

Bish, I've had the same thing happen to me from time-to-time.
    Case in point: Last year my ex-next door neighbor found and gave me a book on military weapons--nice gesture and there were a few nice photos in it but, not my type of book.
    My big brother gave me a book about the American Civil War, that can best be described as "An Idiots Guide to The American Civil War" OR " The Beginners Book on the Civil War" Neither of which I am. When it comes to war, my all-time favorite war to study is WW2, then the U.S.Civil War, War of Independance, Spanish American War, Napoleanic Wars. I liked the gestures from both people but, these books had zilch in it that I had not already known for many years.

11. talleyrand

talleyrand Member

The only books I got were Chabons "Kavalier & Clay" which is really good, and "Aircraft of WWII" a huge 28" x 16" reference full of color plates. The book was originally published in Italian and the translation leaves a bit to be desired. I scored getting Batman, Dead or Alive 3, and Project Gotham Racing for my Xbox though [​IMG]

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Talley ;

Sounds like some cool stuff by Santa........

E

13. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

Personally, i'd rather people did not buy it books. Unless its the wife who by now knows what i like.

I have been dieing to ask this for a few days, so here goes. What the F**K is pecan pie.

14. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

That is what i was wondering, I have to say I agree with Bish, I dont like it unles people who know me well buy books, simply because they give me wither books i already have or books i dont want (my aunt giving me 'uncle albert and the black hole' because she heared I was interested in science is a good example).

To be honest though, its hard to beat my Nans apple pie, all home made from her own apples and stuff, fresh cream, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

For you Bish: Pecan Pie is well first of all, have you heard of Pecans?

Pecans are a sweet tasting nut that is grown here in the states. You spread Pecans all over the top of a dessert pie. The inside of the Pie is well, I dont know exactly what it is, but its sweet tasting and is good. I will later look up Pecan pies for you and give you a link to see one at.

Anyway, Pecans completly cover the top of the sweetened mass--as a sort of pie crust. The pie is very good and very fattening (If you eat alot of it)