Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Als Kaiser Enkel durch die Welt

Discussion in 'The Library' started by aquist, Mar 2, 2005.

1. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    This is an autobiography of Prinz Louis Ferdinand von Preussian, no less a personage than the Grandson of Kaiser Wilhelm II of the first world war. at first it was boring, it is written in German and my German is laughable.but I am getting better and so is the book, because eventually I got to a chapter called Kiriegsjahre the war years and he means world war two. It gets very interesting as he is in Germany and confronts the Nazis with somewhat of an attitude he was in both Lufthansa and the Luftwaffe. when the Kaiser dies in his last will and testament is a codicil requesting that no hakenkreuzfahne be displayed at the funeral....

2. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    10 year old leuntnant

there is a picture in this book of two ten year old leutnants in their uniforms. after all they were the kaisers nephews

3. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    kaiser enkel...

the crazy thing is the more I struggle with reading this book the more I like it. and remEMBER I am self taught with basically High School German texts and a few records and tapes. I can sit and read 8 or ten pages at a time and be fairly confident thaT iKNOW WHAT HE IS SAYING, i DO HOWEVER STILL HAVE TO LOOK A LOT OF WORDS UP IN MY DICTIONARY :oops: oops LC

4. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    kaiser....

the book has quite a few pix my favorite is the crownprinzess Cecilia in her Victorian dress she is very beautiful. Now I know you cant run out and buy this tome, and it is a very esoteric pleasure to peruse it but latter on I will have Risa scan a couple pix for ya

5. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    No need to be ashamed there. Self-teaching a language demands respect.

6. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    kaiser enkel... und danke Roel

I just get a kick out of learning languages :lol: after teaching myself koine Greek (ist century) the challange of German did not seem so daunting. too bad I did not take this as seriously when I was much younger, but I had a family to raise and papers to grade und so weiter. Das ist ja schlimm sein. does anyone know what happened to the Prince after the close of the book? (1952)

7. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    kids with titles

as often happens they had nannies and governors often they were military officers and the kids loved them but after describing what they were like they would mourn as the officer was killed on the opening day of ww1 or the first day of the Polish campaign or the females went to be some one elses nanny, then after all the opulence --near poverty its just unbelievable. each person in their lives got a nickname. and there were these little anecdotes, I am glad a perservered in my language study because I doubt that there is a translation of this book and I would have missed lots of stuff. oh btw they played we'll meet again on kvre this time by Englebert Humperdink still nice to hear a genuine ww2 classic

8. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Related to Him!!

yes, its true my wife is into geneaolgy and informed me that I am related by Marriage ,not by blood- to Prince Louis Ferdinand von pruessen. and also to the Saxe-Cobergs( the current royals of the UK), the Romanovs :eek: (Czar Nicholas etc). the Hohenzollerns (Kaiser Wilhelm II), and an obscure German free prince, Gotz Von Berlingen, old Iron hand, I got myself on the newsletter list for the Familie Hohenzollern and they are very nice and sent my lots of pix and information, in german of course, but I sort of understand it :D :D :D :D

9. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    the rest of the story

by going on line I was able to find out that he died in 1994, that by and large was restored to his ancestral holdings and got a drs. degree. so the story has a truly good ending . I am truly impressed by this man and his family they way out do the British royals

10. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Wow, nice "family" you have there KP! :eek:

Götz von Berlichingen also had an SS division named after him, does that make you feel better? :D

11. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    kaiserenkel

due to my poor German I mistranslated enkel as nephew he is the Grandson of Kaiser Wilhelm II, and from the book the Germans I knew about the SS Division Gotz Von Berlingen. basically their attitude was an erect middle finger and the same dont tread on me attitude of the American revolution flag with the snake and that motto. My mind is completely blown that I am in some small way related to all of these awsome people. thank you very much I am always learning- we live and learn, others just live. ps I am not alone in my ignorance about European History in general even tho I lived in Germany for two years and tried to learn as much as I could

12. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    surfing the Prince

there are just oodles of sites out there that fill you in on the German Royals and the bios of each, lots of things are mind boggling. gee I am back in school!!!

13. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Hohenzollerns

the deposed Kaiser and his son both wrongly thought that Hitler would restore the hohenzollerns to power. he was seriously mistaken and eventually found out that he had backed the wrong horse, the Prince was never taken in by the boemische gefreiter. Hitler despised the Prussians and all his generals, he was (?) middle class and had no use for the edelman, the aristocrats, the Junkers usw.

14. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    He was no Prussian himself, and distrusted the aristocrats and Junker class because he felt they had sold out the German army in 1918.