Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

American Civil War (resp. Secession War) - your opinion

Discussion in 'Military History' started by KnightMove, Nov 20, 2003.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ike, Shiloh is the Southern name for that battle--which is why I used it. ;)

2. KnightMove

KnightMove Ace

Eisenhower:
    I mean that those who were against slavery were not necessarily anti-racist - Lincoln himself is the perfect example, believing in intellectual superiority of the white race.

But is there record of white people who definitely stated an anti-racist attitude?

3. Eisenhower

Eisenhower Member

John Brown ;) perfect example of the anti-racist (even if he was a madman). I'm sure quite a few people from the north were anti-racist, I'm just too lazy to look them up right now. I'll try to get back to you on that. Lincoln was racist? I'm sure everyone back then (except for a few people) thought that there should be some difference between whites and blacks, but just flat out calling him racist? I'm not so sure about that. Though he did make the emancipation proclamation for political reasons, and he did think there was (socially) a difference in between blacks and whites, I wouldn't necessarily call him that. :rolleyes:

4. KnightMove

KnightMove Ace

I didn't call him an extraordinary racist, but he was a typical white man at a time when racism was all too natural. As most others, he did believe the races to be different, and the white one to be superior.

5. Eisenhower

Eisenhower Member

Yes, those were sad times. I won't deny that it was very common back then, which is kind of a disappointment. But who would we know if he wasn't as racist as other people (just looking at it from both sides here)?

6. KnightMove

KnightMove Ace

I don't know what's your problem right now - I was only asking for people with a declared anti-racist attitude. This has nothing to do with details concerning Lincoln's world picture. :confused:

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

KM, the most famous name that comes to mind fro what I am taking that your wanting is like someone mentioned earlier, and that is of John Brown and his sons. I don't know his sons names but, they were just like their father. As for other names, I know there had to be plenty but, I just do not know who they are at this time.

Hope this helps? ;)

8. Eisenhower

Eisenhower Member

:confused: Do I have a problem? Sorry if it looks like that, kinda confused right now. My apologies. Carl, I think John Brown is someone everyone will be mentioning to the question. I'm trying to think of someone who wasn't off his rocker. :D

9. KnightMove

KnightMove Ace

Please can someone tell me how the Antietam Creek is pronounced?

10. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

A Texan would pronounce it like this: (anrie(&·$(%(&·radkjdbnam)... :D :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Eisenhower

Eisenhower Member

:rolleyes: "ant-ee-dum" that's the way I pronounce it anyway. :D

12. Herr Kaleun

Herr Kaleun Member

"An-TEE-tum"

I hopes this helps you KnightMove.

About six years ago, my wife and I visited the Antietam battlefield and stayed at the Piper House which is now a bed and breakfast. The Piper House is the only place where you can spend the night on a Civil War battlefield...officially. ;)

I recommend to anyone a stay overnight in that B&B. Very nice sense of history in that building. Also eerie knowing that a few Confederates, probably Mississippians, died in the front room. And you can nearly smell Ol' Pete Longstreet's cigar!

13. KnightMove

KnightMove Ace

Thx, now it's clear.

Well, dearest creatures in creation...

study English pronounciation! ;)

14. Finch

Finch recruit

This is utter and complete BS.

The south went to war to preserve slavery and everything that went with it - "states rights" was cover for the real issue.

* If the south fought for "states rights" then please explain the fugitive slave law, which completely contradicted the principle of states' rights.

* The extra power of th ewhite south in the electoral college was based on the *continued* existence of slavery. many of our early Presidents, jefferson included, would never have been elected with the infamous "3/5ths" compromise. Again, this is about slavery not states rights. The 3/5ths compromise violated the principle of one man, one vote for all thenon-slave states. No states' rights advocate could possibly support that.

* The tariffs issue is closely related. The north was a rising industrial power, needing tariffs to protect nascent industries. The south, being largely an agricultural economy, would be hurt by tariffs. Again its the economic systems clashing - nothing to do with states' rights.

* The slaves liberated themselves with a lot of help from the US Army. I love to remind people of this when they say "Violence never solved anything". Ask any descendant of slaves. Violence is rarely th ebest way, but it sure as hell works sometimes.

Byt the way, what exactly makes John Brown a madman? He tried to use violence to free the slaves. Abe Lincoln did the same thing and no one is calling him mad.

15. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Ah, my disillusioned friend. I recommend you do more research and leave emotion out it. You are mixing facts with myth. You will find that much surprise at the end of your research.

16. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Welcome to the forums, Finch! ;) Hope you like it in here. :cool:

And please, feel free to *bump* all threads so we can have a new discussion. [​IMG]

17. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

I now have a question. Militarily speaking.

Did general Robert E. Lee make a mistake invading the North? That is why Gettysburg happened. Should he have stayed in Virginia repelling the Union's attack as he did during the first half of the war?

:confused:

18. Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver Member

I'm sorry Carl, but I also have to do this in bold to stand out.

Your statement above is simply not true

I don't know where you got your figures from, but they bear no basis to reality.

In the ACW over 200,000 Black men served with the Union forces, of which 176,000 fought in the Union army (approximately 9% of the total enrollment of the Union army).
    The first Black regiment was mustered in November 1862, by October 1864 there were 140 black regiments, of which 38 took part in the invasion of Virginia in 1864. Black soldiers were the first Union troops to enter Charleston and Richmond when these cities fell in 1865.
    By the end of the war Black regiments had fought in 449 engagements of which 39 were major battles, most of them in the last decisive year of the war.
    More than 37,000 Black soldiers lost their lives fighting for the Union, and 17 Black soldiers and 4 sailors were awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.
    According to some military analysts the use of Black troops by the Union may have shortened the war by as much as a year.

On the Confederate side, Black men were not even allowed to join the CS army until March 1865 when Jefferson Davis signed the " Negro Soldier Law" a few companies were enrolled, but the war ended before any had seen combat.

source: Illustrated History of the American Civil War. edited by Henry Steele Commager.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Gentlemen, the US Defense Department's website contains a brief but informative history of the Confederacy's black troops: Black Confederates.

[ 22. January 2004, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Crapgame ]

19. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

Friedrich,
    I would have thought that bringing the battle to the enemy would have been the best tactic (invading Pennsylvania)...what I never quite understood is why the south did not learn anything from Fredricksburg...i.e. attack over open ground toward well defended fortifications...up to that point they thought they were invinsible but Lee...2nd in his West Point class...how dumb was this move?!?