Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

American CP T105 Fuze

Discussion in 'Artillery' started by Greg Canellis, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Greg Canellis

Greg Canellis Member

I can't seem to find any dope on the American CP T105 artillery fuze. What I can gather is this fuze was beginning to come into use in the summer of 1944, and was designed to penetrate cement and concrete bunkers and earth mounds, with somewhat good results. I believe it was used on the bigger guns, corps artillery 155mm and up. I think it may have been a delay fuze, but I am not certain. Can anyone help with some history, development, stats, or point me to anything on this fuze? Thanks.

Greg C.

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

try here greg,I can't open pdf's to see.. [PDF]
    AD NUMBER CLASSIFICATION CHANGES LIMITATION CHANGES AUTHORITY

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
    Valcar"-ier by the Artillery Proof and Development Establishment. In ...... shell fitted with fuze, nose, CP, T 105 should be assessed. ...
    handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADA800118

3. Greg Canellis

Greg Canellis Member

Thanks Ray, The CP T 105 fuze is only mentioned once as follows:

"For the attack of concrete with HE shell there is an advantage in
    increased striking velocity up to the point at which the shell will no
    longer stand up. The performance of the sabot round with the 3"​
    HE M42​
    shell fitted with fuze, nose, CP, T 105 should be assessed."

But that is one more mention than I was able to locate. I'm hoping to find how this fuze differs from what was already in use, and why it was different. Thanks,

Greg C.

4. Sentinel

Sentinel Member

I'm interested in artillery shells and fuzes generally.

One question that has bothered me is about nose fuzes on HE shells. If they are designed for instant detonation, then the shell will explode before it penetrates the target - fine.

But if a nose-fuzed shell with delayed action penetrates a structure, say of concrete, wouldn't the delicate fuze mechanisms be destroyed? What, exactly, happens in sequence as an HE shell enters a target?

I'd be very grateful for any references that could explain the stages of action as shells meet a target.

The PDF linked above looks interesting, and I'm reading it. But I wonder if there's a more general treatment somewhere on the net?