Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

American Football

Discussion in 'The Members Lounge' started by Boba Nette, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Charley

Charley New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Tongue was firmly in cheek

2. cheeky_monkey

cheeky_monkey New Member

via TanksinWW2
    not enough money for someone to sabotage the stadium lights even in america u cant play in the dark?!

3. PMN1

PMN1 recruit

via TanksinWW2
    At least one too much since last saturday.... :angry:[/quote]

Another one bites the dust.

:D :D

4. GP

GP New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Another one bites the dust.

:D :D[/quote]

As much as it hurts, good luck to the slimey Welsh gits. :lol:

5. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Does any of the soccer stadiums have jails in them and are Brit sports fans as bad (violently) as they are depicted?

Point of interest, the old Veteran's Stadium in Philadelphia had a jail they the Philly P.D. used for roudy fans. It even hold a small courtroom. The Vet was recently demolished and I'm not sure if the new stadium will have a lock up.

6. cheeky_monkey

cheeky_monkey New Member

via TanksinWW2
    im not aware of any english football stadiums that have cells, english sports fans arnt as bad as depicted, that is a stigma that has lessend alot in the last 20 years.

the behaviour of sports fans in england is often associated with behaviour that occured in the 1970s and early 80s, things have moved on a graet deal since then, unfortunately the media hasnt!!

7. sonofecthelion

sonofecthelion New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The English soccer fans are quite bad. But the players are worse! They always spit, swear, abuse, shout and even attack others including the referee, other players, opposing fans etc.

8. cheeky_monkey

cheeky_monkey New Member

via TanksinWW2
    no they are not! english football fans are no worse than fans in other countries.

as for the players that is a huge exaggeration to say the least!!

9. GP

GP New Member

via TanksinWW2
    In the 1970's some hooligans thought it would be fun to fight at matches. Then the other european countries had idiots who would try to outdo the English/Scottish (although not as bad as the English).

In Italy they throw flares at each other, then the likes of Ajax and Feyanord (pardon spelling) fight worse than most English hooligans, Then the ultimate are Galataseray (a Turkish team).

These days the fighting is not at the game but in the local town or city. It is just that the press pay idiots to fight to sell news and people actually bait the British fans to get a reaction.

10. Castelot

Castelot New Member

via TanksinWW2

Agreed.Tough there are some black sheep among them, enghlish football fans are generally an enrichment for this sport.

[/quote]

Such incidents happen, but it's of course not only english players.
    Do you remember Cantona? ;)

11. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Feyenoord is the correct spelling. It is an area of the city of Rotterdam.

Without judging the sport as such, soccer brings out the worst I have seen yet of Dutch people. Those who are shown as soccer fans are generally the dumbest, ugliest, rudest, most asocial people you'll ever encounter, who are indeed no better than the worst of the British hooligans. This, however, is due to the fact that the biggest mouths draw the most attention. I sure hope it is, at least, because if not, we are a sorry lot indeed, since soccer remains the most popular sport of the country.

When the police starts arresting whole blocks of a match audience you know something is terribly wrong in the "class" of soccer fans.

12. GP

GP New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Bedankt.

13. Charley

Charley New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Most of the people who start fights at football matches are the exact same people who start fights when the pubs kick them out on a Friday or Saturday night. Its not football that makes them scum but scum reverting to type at football matches.

14. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Not so, since these type of riots do not break out in any other major sports event but soccer matches. For example, speed skating draws audiences of comparable size in the Netherlands but there is never a fight in a skating match.

15. Charley

Charley New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Don't know about Holland, but in England football tends to be pull in more fans from 'problem' areas than any other sports (it has plenty of fans that aren't from dodgy areas as well) - put people who like a fight in a tense situation like a football match, give them a ready made enemy in the shape of opposing fans stand back and watch the sparks fly

16. cheeky_monkey

cheeky_monkey New Member

via TanksinWW2
    if u dont understand the culture of football you will never understand the reasons that violence is attached to the game, you cant just compare it to another sport and say because it dosnt happen in skating it shouldnt happen it football.... thats just being a little bit niave!

17. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    All the more reason to blame football itself for the riots, don't you think? I can't escape the thought that soccer itself must be the cause of it, since now that I think of it, I haven't heard of any other sport in which the supporters knock each other's skulls in, even those sports that are more roughly comparable to soccer (team ball sports).

18. cheeky_monkey

cheeky_monkey New Member

via TanksinWW2
    thats becuase u dont understand the football mentality you wernt brought up to live and breath football. in the uk it is more like a religion than a sport, and you develop a strong bond with your team that often spans numerous generations.

a football team can be a focal point for a whole community or even a whole country, obviously some people can become so involved they feel the need to protect their teams name at all cost and will take insults against their teams personally.

i should no becuase that is how i was brought up, i am very attached to my team and the england team (not to the point of violent behaviour)
    that i have suffered real emotional stress and pain when england have been knocked out (robbed!) at various european championships and world cups over the years. sometimes these emotions in others do have a tendancy to be volatile esp when alcohol is involved.

I think we in england are beginning to channel that emotion into different areas and away from violence right now which is good.

19. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Great point. That's how a lot of college football fans are here in the South. In my house, we could like any team we wanted, as long as it was Alabama. :p

I have seen many good natured jokes turn violent simply because it was Alabama/Auburn related. College football is almost a religion in this part of the USA and parts of the Mid-West. The only rivalry that is close to the intensity of Alabama/Auburn is Ohio State/Michigan. Alabama/Auburn is in the same state so it's more intense than usual.

20. sonofecthelion

sonofecthelion New Member

via TanksinWW2
    In England some cities have two soccer teams (or several in the case of London). You have to be very careful while in Liverpool, for example not to offend Liverpool FC supporters, or Everton supporters.