Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

An Amazing Story...

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by Panzerknacker, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

In 1945-a German Colonel surrendered his men to Major Richard Winters, Battalion Commander of the 2nd Bn, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division.
    His instrument of surrender was the surrender of his Walther PPK pistol. Major Winters looked at the pistol later on, and realised that there was "no blood on this gun"-that is-it had never been fired. Major Winters still has that pistol today, and says that it never has, nor never will be fired...

[ 21. December 2002, 04:26 AM: Message edited by: Panzerknacker ]

2. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

I seem to recall a scene from the last episode of BoB. Winter is offered a pistol, and the German officer says he'd rather hand it to Winters than to a desk clerk. Winters tells him he may keep the pistol. Could this be a different surender, or the same one just changed for effect.

3. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

I knew this question would be asked Bish. I was watching a doco on Easy Company where Major Winters told the story. I found it strange that he said he aceoted the pistol as in both the TV series and book, Winters is crediting with allowing German Officers to retain their sidearms!!!
    It may refer to a different surrender-all I knwo is Major Winters told it firsthand...