Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

An 'armless Vietnam Trophy

Discussion in 'Military History' started by GRW, Jul 1, 2013.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Why in God's name would he want it back?!
    "An American doctor, who kept the bones of a patient’s amputated arm as a bizarre wartime memento, has returned them to the man 47 years later.
    Dr Sam Axelrad took the arm bones home to Houston from Vietnam in 1966 after his medical colleagues boiled off the flesh, reconstructed the arm bones and gave them to him as a souvenir.
    The doctor flew to Vietnam to meet the amputee, former North Vietnamese soldier Nguyen Quang Hung, today after he found the bones in a military bag in his closet where they had sat for decades.

Mr Hung thought it was strange that a doctor would want to keep his bones as a souvenir but was happy to be reunited with his amputated arm after he was shot in the arm by American troops during the Vietnam War.
    The 73-year-old said: ‘I can't believe that an American doctor took my infected arm, got rid of the flesh, dried it, took it home and kept it for more than 40 years.
    ‘I don't think it's the kind of keepsake that most people would want to own but I look forward to seeing him again and getting my arm bones back.’
    The pair met in Mr Hung’s hometown of An Khe, near the coastal city of Qui Nhon, today to hand over the bones.

Dr Axelrad, now a urologist, brought the skeletal keepsake back to America as a reminder of doing a good deed but said he did not look at them for years because he did not want to relive his wartime experiences.
    He found the bag of bones in 2011 and decided to find their owner and return them.
    Dr Axelrad said: ‘It just blew me away what was in there. That kind of triggered my thoughts of returning.’
    Mr Hung was shot in October 1966 during an ambush about 46 miles from An Khe, in central Vietnam. After floating down a stream to escape a fire fight, he then sheltered in a rice warehouse for three days until he was evacuated by a U.S. helicopter to a no-frills military hospital."
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2352244/American-doctor-returns-bones-Vietnamese-mans-amputated-arm-took-bizarre-wartime-memento.html#ixzz2XnyyLhoy

blutoubtemium likes this.
  2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

This is just creepy.

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I am speechless. :eek:

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Suppose the "Army" didnt want him after the op...

5. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Very strange.

6. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Just seen it five mins ago on Sky...they are a bit late...Just the skelital bone and fingers..why he kept it in first place is as good a question...

7. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

Hey, it happened in the pacific war so its not so surprising it happened in Vietnam!