Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

An Englishman enters the room

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by hornetsfan, Jan 20, 2010.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi jim and welcome to the site. Glad to see another collector of WWII photos and photoalbums on this site. Now Kai, Hucks, Skipper, Erich and I, will not feel like a Clique in the Militaria forums ;-))

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

welcome jim,good site you have...

3. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Hello to all who have welcomed me aboard ...
    C.Evans ..i'm surprised there are so few photo collectors on such a large forum site . I think a good authentic photo album tells a story ...i'm quite passionate about them. And happy that there are not hoards of fellow collectors ...( prices would go through the roof if there were ) .
    Did someone refer to me as a Brit ? My nationality is English ,no big deal,no far right motives ..I follow the English Football ,Rugby and cricket teams ...does Britain really exist ?...i'm just English , I was born to English parents ,in England and proud of it ...mosts Scots ,Irish and Welsh will fully understand . Ok the English are the most hybrid breed on the globe, of diverse genetic ancestry ,but so what ..i'm English .
    I get really irritated when I have to fill in official forms in Britain ...every other nation is listed ..but England . Are we such a bad country that we should feel ashamed of our nationality/ history ...all plain daft ...Rant over !!:)
    I feel better for that .
    Back to my photos ...
    jim

4. Currahee

Currahee Member

Welcome to the forum Jim. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here to help with any thing. Nice to have you aboard.

5. Owen

Owen O

I dunno Jim, I quite like being British.
    I don't even mind being called a Brit.

6. Kruska

Kruska Member

Sure, off course you don't, since all Englishman are known to be g....:D, ah well urgh knows my true thoughts.

BTW, welcome to the Forum hornetsfan,
    and...from reading your previous post.,I can judge..that.. ah..you ..are..a.ahm..a..real...genuine...Engli...right?...:rofl:

Regards
    Kruska

7. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Hello Wessex ,its only a personal gripe, a grumpy old man thing . ...considering ones self English , rather than British now-days seems to be somehow deviant , I just wonder when English became a dirty word .
    I'm bright enough to know its all meaningless stuff and nonsense ..reality is we are all merely monkeys that got too smart for our own good ...there were no weapons of mass destruction when we were uncultured / uncivilised .:)
    I need another cup of tea ( Earl Grey of course dear boy ) .
    james

8. Owen

Owen O

Well I supposed I can't claim to be 100% English as me Nan was Welsh but ssshhhh don't tell anyone will ya?

9. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Krushka ...i'm not entirely sure what you are saying ...but thats normal for me .I put it down to tiredness ....and Cheese & cucumber sandwich poisoning.
    Gawd blimey love ,its way past me bedtime , must make me way up the apple and pears for a little shut eye.
    jim

10. Kruska

Kruska Member

Hello hornetsfan,

Good God, Cheese & Cucumber - is that what the Splendid Isolation has let you poor fellows end up with? :D

Have a good rest and see you around
    Regards
    Kruska

11. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Krushka dear boy....the family's hit hard times ,only last week we had to lay off the butler and sell the Rolls-Royce . We have already eaten the chauffeur...Cheese & cucumber is all we can afford , times are tough in blighty .
    Besides , with these rotten teeth ...soft cheese and cucumber sandwiches is all one can reasonably manage .
    jim

Kruska likes this.
  12. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

You admitted that in an open forum, Owen?

....I'll duck now as I am sure the rotten fruit and veggies will be heading my way as soon as WTID reads this.

It all about the same. Calling me a "Yank" is the epitome of an insult, seeing as how I am a Southerner, steeped in graces and genteel behavior.:eek::D

13. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Ah, James. Even this uncultured colonial would gladly join you in a cuppa, especially the sublime Earl Grey. And don't mind Slipdigit. Those "Sothroners" have a somewhat awkward view of the country; "genteel: my left big toe.:D

14. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Your left great toe is genteel? How did you manage that?

Note that I am cultured and learned from the finest schools to use large in the place of big. You might even see me use diminutive from time to time in the place of little, but that is only when I want to use ten dollar words to bamboozle real Yankees.

15. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

16. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

Hmmm.

I guess the whole british thing is a reaction to so many referring to english, when they think of all brits.

No gripe with people beeing english and proud.

Spent some time in Newcastle and studied in Aberdeen.

17. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Im spartacus...sorry Im a Brit...Thats me and Wessex then..the rest of you can be English by all means. Welcome to another Englishman. I prefer being a mongral brit though.

18. Owen

Owen O

urqh the [part] Welshman in me is getting very excited by that photo of a sheep you have.
    I'll go down the shed & get me wellies out.
    ;)

19. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

What happened to the pirates?

20. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

You leave dolly alone you viet taff....Shes armed and dangerous....