Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

An Englishman enters the room

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by hornetsfan, Jan 20, 2010.

1. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Hello Michelle ..I thought my comments might smoke out a fair maiden .
    Are you here to make the tea ? If so mines Earl Grey , milk and no sugar ...a buttered scone would also be nice . Make it snappy ol'girl, I'm rather parched
    James Xxx

2. Owen

Owen O

Jim your text is getting bigger with everypost.

3. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

I will put my serious head back on for a moment ...I have over a hundred original military photo albums ...i'm here ideally to further research my collection . I get the albums once the veterans have passed on . In many cases the former owners of the albums died during the war years .
    One Kriegsmarine sailor Werner Posel has such an angelic face ...still looks very much a young boy ,must be 17-18 , same age as my lad . I see him in the photos studying hard ,training hard ...standing on the frozen deck of his ship..a tough life ...he died when his ship was damaged in the Battle of Narvik ...a direct hit to the engine room ..his parents added photos of his grave site and memorial ...its the human side of war that i'm really interested in .
    I have a neighbour who was a lorry driver only a couple of weeks behind the D-Day landings ...a very young man who had previously lead a quiet country life in rural Buckinghamshire . I love hearing his stories .

Friendly banter on these sites is great , passes the time and we will all learn something along the way . But the real value of these forums is the possibility to contact directly the men and women who were actually there . I'm certainly hoping to listen to and gratefully receive any help from any WW2 Veterans that may be here .
    This generation are now well into their 80s and 90s , but I live in hope that a few are here .
    many thanks
    jim

4. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Wessex ....I have got to the age of 46 without the need for glasses ..Alas I think I really do need to see the optician now...tired eyes , too much time on laptop and age ..are taking there toll ...I really do need glasses .

5. Owen

Owen O

OK , good point.
    I know what you mean about the banter though.

We've got a fair few Veterans here & quite afew more on the sister website.

6. hornetsfan

hornetsfan Member

Ha Ha....I could still read the small type .. sister site ? do you have details .
    cheers
    jim

7. Owen

Owen O

see slipdigits post #10 on this thread.
    he mentions it there.
    ;)