Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

An open letter to all re-enactors of Waffen SS units

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Ron Goldstein, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

After reading several of the opinions I changed my mind slightly... If it serves an educational purporse (people should never forget) I'm all in favour of reinacting SS units... Only, they had to show the good, the ugly and the very very ugly... It might put some sence into people heads that run around telling the Hollocaust is all lies...

Cheers...

2. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Mr. Goldstein, having you ask questions that make us all think and have to evaluate our ideas and reactions is the bonus we get in having Veterans on the Forum! As Stephan pointed out I need to again read his response on why he re-enacted as a member of an SS unit. Without having done so yet, I am going to assume that because I am already familiar with Stephan's posts elsewhere on the Forum I assumed his reenactment would be for reasonable purposes as he is educated about the War. As I write, I realize that perhaps we will never get an answer from what I currently assume are the majority - those who idealize the "pretty" uniform and have not idea of the nefarious history that is also associated with it.

Stephan, you raised some good points regarding the passage of time desensitizing people to the horrors in the sense that they become more abstract rather than personal. Re-enacting representing historical narrative and tactics rather than portraying the personal experiences of those who were there. And the last thing I ever want to see is people desensitized to the horrors man inflicted on man during World War II.

Sadly, sometimes I think people in the general population have become desensitized to the horrors they see on the nightly news or portrayed in other mediums; therefore, why am I surprised when they are not sensitive to events that happened 60 years ago. I often find it hard to watch the news because I empathise too much........

Za Rodinu likes this.
  3. diddyriddick

diddyriddick Member

Za....Nothing taken amiss here.

Ron...I would say that your thread is not bloody awkward, but bloody relevant.

4. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Michelle as a Civil War reenactor,at least, in the Units that I belong to we try to present the tactics, morals and personal and public views as they were during the war. In addition to what life was like in the field for the soldiers that fought. Good and bad. Some really do strive to portray things as accurately as possible. "First person impression". I think the same goes for reenators of other eras.

5. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Thanks for correcting me JC.

6. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

No problem Michelle :D. Now I do have to say that that doesn't always apply to some :(.

7. Drucius

Drucius Member

That's truly disgusting and astonishing in equal measure.

8. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

I really would say it is all educational purposes. When a small group of young history lovers decide to form a historical fighting unit; people jump on the bandwagon and decide to join them. New members might look up the units history so they know what to portray. Now, in all cases that should'nt be veiwed as bad. Because people can know what some soldiers did and some didnt, but it is their responsibility not to reenact murders so they wont stereotype all of the SS.

Sure some might disagree with me, but their should be peace at heart knowing that they might not be ignorant young folks that want to be like them because they "r cool".

I am not positive if I expressed myself properly so please bear with me and I will explain some things that werent clear.

9. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

I still think if they want to reinact, they should do so out of educational value. I woner what many Neo-Nazis would think if they saw a good representation of Einsatzgruppen or concentration camps conditions...

Cheers...

10. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

In today's postings I see that another young man wishes to purchase an SS uniform

I also see that UKSUBS kindly points him to this thread.

I wonder what are my chances are of now getting an answer to my original question ?

Ron

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Ron

not sure if you understood my line that you quoted from the last page.

~ personally I find it great offense and I really don't give a rip if I get blasted for it or not, but Re-enactment of events with living personalities of WW 2 so they can be copied in a modern setting is just plain wrong. Gave evidence of my German vet friends and their responses "why, and what is the point ?"

Gentlemen the events are still too real with many of the living who shed the tear, suffered the terrible wounds and watched their brothers in arms get blown to pieces. It does not matter of whom, the victor or the loser

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ron, you wont get your original question answered to your liking I am afraid.

v/r Erich

12. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Slim to none I think. I don't think I have heard of any Hitler Youth reenactors.

13. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Sometime last year I posted photos from an event where there was a 12 yr old HJ member there. A family affair. I would have to do some intense digging to find it.

Found it. Halfway down

http://www.ww2f.com/living-history/19668-ohio-reinactment.html

14. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

PzJgr

http://www.ww2f.com/living-history/19668-ohio-reinactment.html

Thank you for the link.

A family affair? Fascinating.

I doubt if the 12 year old chose his outfit? I think I would be fairly safe in thinking it was one of his parents, most likely his mother.

Tell me, did she go dressed as a Belsen guard ?

Ron

15. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

She was there as a German Red Cross nurse. The 12yr old was well versed in his role and knew alot about the HJ organization, equipment and history of the HJ. They did not come across as 'glorifying' nazism. It was educational. The Americans were of the airborne division. There were also USO tents out there and one tent of the role of American women in the war. Pretty nice set up but it was a small event.

Interesting enough, there were some American WWII vets critiquing the tactics of both sides.

16. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Of the two posters in question both have posted since they were made aware of this thread. It looks like they have chosen to ignore the question as to why they wanted HJ and Waffen SS uniforms. So sad. I for one would like to have seen thier response to Ron's simple question.

17. Owen

Owen O

Yes, here's a list.
    Vietnam War Reenactors

I saw a "Vietnam" battle in Wiltshire once, it was awful.

I wonder if the US 23rd Americal Div re-enactors do "My Lai" ?

18. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Thanks. Funny how there are no ARVN or Korean reeanacting units in the list.

19. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

my nan remembers blackshirt members,marching up the old bethnal green road in the 30,s.she said they got a good kicking.anyone who struts about in an ss uniform now deserves the same treatment imho.lee:mad:.b######s.

SKYLINEDRIVE likes this.
  20. Hawkmoon432k

Hawkmoon432k Dishonorably Discharged

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.