Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Another sad loss for my U 181 vet/friends and myself

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by C.Evans, Mar 7, 2002.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

A former NCO serving on U 181 under Kapitan Wolfgang Luth and Kapitan zur See Kurt Freiwald--friends with my best German vet friend Karl Kaiser, has recently passed away. His name is Josef Grobelny--NCO on U 181.

I upkeep messages of this kind to serve many purposes. One of my ways to remember the gents I was so lucky to meet and greatful to be able to spend time with, when I was in Germany.

Another reason for these postings is also I want those who read it to know of and think about these gentlemen. Does not matter wether they are American, German, British, Dutch etc. It matters that we think of these men and that at least some of them know we do.

I hope those who are interested in contacting vets from any nation who fought in ww2, to do so soon. I cannot stress this enough. :( :( :(

Rest in peace sir.

[ 07 March 2002: Message edited by: C.Evans ]</p>

2. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Hear Hear, Carl (or is it here, here?)

My sentiments exactly. I thank you for this posting. Although the passing away of these men can be expected, it always saddens me.

Last week I visited a Dutch veteran. He was in the army in May 1940, shooting artillery pieces that should have been fased out in 1918! Three guns blew up with the first round. His unit retreated thru Belgium an d France to the UK. In August 1944 he came back to liberate Europe.

What I want to say is; I am just glad I 'found'him in time. He is really appreciative of my/our interest and has a lot of interesting stories. And he loaded me up with books and videos to read and watch!

Soz if this is maybe off topic....

Again, I appreciate the post, Carl....

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you for the support about my Uboat vet/friend Stevin, and if at all possible, please see if you can get a copy of a few photos of this vet in uniform and maybe one of as he is today. I would gladly pay you back any costs of haveing copies made of these photos--would love to see them posted here as well. I will also let the other U 181 vets know of your support--they will greatly appreciate the fact they you have thought of them and mourned as well.

Im glad he knows about our interests--he is a very important part of ww2. I would love to know more about him as well. If you can, please send him my best regards for me will you [​IMG]

Take care my friend, and I will be back here as soon as I have no difficulties with the internet--tis been messing up lately.