Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Any Douglas experts information on the DC1

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by Prospero Quevedo, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

I read the dc3 was made by stretching the dc2. But the dc2 was developed from the dc1, was it just stretched or was there more to it like wider fuselage or what.

2. Takao

Takao Ace

The DC-2 was lengthened by 24 inches for more seating. The DC-3 was lengthened by 2 feet 6 1/4 inches, and widened by 2 feet 2 inches - The DC-3 was originally to be a "sleeper", hence, it's name Douglas Sleeper Transport (DST). The wings were also lengthened by 10 feet, which provided more wing area and fuel tankage. The tail surfaces were redesigned and enlarged.

When designing the DC-3, it had been planned to keep an 85% parts commonality with the DC-2. However, till all was said and done, the parts commonality had dropped below 10%.

3. Prospero Quevedo

I can find lots of information online on the two and three but dc1 is scarce. There is a book on DC propliners dc1 to dc7. I might have to find a copy used in good condition. Thanks for your time and information. Are you in Japan my family came from somewhere in Japan but no one seems to remember and my great grandparents have passed on.

4. Takao

Takao Ace

Nah, I have never moved out of the state of Pennsylvania.

The Takao class have always been my favorite, and have used the moniker on other forums.

5. Prospero Quevedo

Yeah I have to say the Japanese did have some great looking cruisers Takao has been one of mine as well. Even the us navy admired Japans cruisers and used them as a guide in cruiser design. The Imperial navy just won't die, keeps getting reborn in anime shows. Ars nova blue steel Takao is back on the prowl with the rest of the pacific fleet sinking everything on the water or over. Kongo class destroyers destroyed. Its a interesting show alien presence manifest as ships WWII warships and control the seas cutting off shipping and flights on or over the oceans. Another once popular show in Japan along with high school navy. Lots of high school girl hostess wearing navy uniforms and panzer girls uniforms and plain ole school uniforms. My buddy went to Japan had a field day bought a bunch of 72 scale aircraft and 700 scale ships way cheaper than here. He was really happy and picked up some 144 scale kits for me.

Takao likes this.
  6. Takao

Takao Ace

Going to Japan is on my bucket list. There is a lot I would like to visit there. Not all WW2 related, as I would like to visit Studio Ghibli.

7. Prospero Quevedo

My buddy went to some of the big model companies that had a customer showroom and huge discounts on kits said he had to break down the boxes and loose pack the kit to get everything in his luggage case. I would love to go to Japan as well I would like to check out platz, ftoys, Takara, hobby link Japan and maybe hobby search Japan.

8. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

McDonell-Douglas is based here in St. Louis. You might ask them for info.

9. Prospero Quevedo

That is a great idea, didn't know that any of Douglas was still around Boeing has done a pretty good job closing what Douglas facilities were here in California well at least in Huntington Beach and Long Beach.

10. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

By law they have to retain the archives when they buy a company out. You just have to track down the person you need to talk to.

11. Prospero Quevedo

Thanks again for the info I'll have to look up what department to contact. Contacted bovington tank museum for info never heard back from them. Then I found this place and finding lots of information. Thanks again

12. Takao

Takao Ace

Some are better than others, and it also depends on how many staff, and how busy they are. I had to contact the SS Hikawa Maru many years ago for information of Japanese lifeboats in WW2, and they were quite helpful, although, not unexpectedly, it did take some time for a response

13. Prospero Quevedo

Thanks again for your time and information