Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

anybody writing vets NOW ?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Erich, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Guys, this is more of an open ended survey but is anyone writing anyone at the present time from the WW 2 era ?

Just sent off two letters today to Germany to two NJG 2 aces.

Two more tomorrow to a TO of 8./NJG 5 and the I./NJG 5 Gruppenkommandeur Werner Hoffmann.

I promised myself more than two years or ago to do this and the guys are falling fast so I encourage everyone to get on board and do so including searching your own area of living and seek these guys/gals out. Windows of history are going fast.

We did have a nice chat with British veteran Brian (sapper) and now we are no longer in contact.....any word on him guys....espcially you chaps from the UK ?

We indeed have an 8th Air force veteran that visits on a regular basis and possibly several more.

so, get with fellas !

E

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Im still writing when possible (when I can afford to) and plan to do some more this month.

PS--im talking to a friend of mine in washington and im going to see if he will let me write to an Uffz who was a Panzerman on the East Front--and to an Uffz in the Luftwaffe. I will check back tomorrow to see what he says. Also--im doing this to see if you can write to them as well. :D

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Just got a PM from my friend--he said that at least one will be more than happy to correspond--not sure on the other. Anyway, ill ask for more details tomorrow-- IF your interested :D

4. charlie don't surf

charlie don't surf Member

I agree with you Erich and I plan to send away a huge amount of letters during the end of this month. First I have some reading to do.

Best regards/ Daniel

5. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Via e-mail in am in touch with quite a few US vets, mainly 8th USAAF, some 15th USAAF, some army. We e-mail quite regularly. Then a former British marine commando who fought in Holland but now lives in Australia. I also e-mail once in a while with herr. Otto Renger, FSJ and author of the book I posted about a few months ago.

Am in touch with one TOGO-boy! by snailmail. And am eagerly awaiting any answers to letters I have sent to several German vets.

As always on the look out for more people to write! So I keep myself recommanded! ;)

6. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

i will be writing to Maj. Richard Winters this week-tomorrow in fact

7. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

I would like to post a draft of teh letter I will send on here for you to check to make sure I am following good etiquette ok guys?

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

PK go for it. We all can make suggestions but there probably won;t be any if you have a good handle on what you want to say......

Friend Charlie don't Surf just confirmed another NF pilot adresse for me.....thanks Daniel ! Off it goes tonight.

keep it up guys :D and don't delay

E

9. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Must admit i'm writing like mad,about 8 letters a month to Ritterkreuztragers and am in regular touch via letter or e-mail with a Panzer RK,Sturmgechutz RK,a Stalingrad Luftwaffe Vet and 3 Waffen SS Vets .

It is my main area of interest at the moment as i know that these guys won't be around for ever!!

Paul [​IMG]

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Hey Paul speaking of the Stalingrad Luftwaffe vet....any more news from him about several W. Dahl photos ?

Thankx

E

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

C'mon guys don't be bashful

putting in two more night aces, H. Rauh and L. Meisters letter's in the mail in about 15 minutes.

How is doing what on these forums gents ?

E

12. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Erich,

Havn't forgot about this, i've mentioned to Helmut about me sending you copies of the photos of Dahl plus some of the others from JG3 but he hasn't replied to this question in any of his recent e-mails,i don't know whether he has forgot or is avoiding the issue for some reason !!
    He is mailing me shortly with some info on a RKT from the 9 Staffel who was shot down over Stalingrad on Christmas Day 1942 so i will ask him again.
    Sorry for delay in answering,have been in France and Belgium for the last week.

Paul [​IMG]

13. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Paul, thanks ! when Helmut gets to it he will get to it. hopefully he is in good health ?
    Was the time in Belgium and France productive ?

E

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

As for about to write to vets, im about to write to Fridolin von Spaun, who is the last living member of Freikorps Oberland. Herr von Spaun is 105 yrs old. :D

15. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Erich,

Helmut is well and is talking of another visit to Stalingrad.
    The trip to France and Belgium went well,although it was mostly a WW1 Trip,visiting the Somme,Ypres and Mons although we did fit in a visit to Waterloo as well.
    I'm in Germany for a few days in 3 weeks time stopping with my friend Gerd who is a veteran of the Das Reich Division,so if there are any questions any one would like me to ask him let me know.
    Good look with your letter Carl,hope you get a good reply,can't remember if i told you but the oldest RKT Kurt Andersen 104 yrs died recently.

Paul [​IMG]

16. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Paul, have a great couple of days with Gerd. In fact who is he, rank and what unit within the Division ?

Waterloo eh ? I wish, as since childhood I have been quite interested in Napoleonics...

E

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you for letting me know just now--I had not heard before.

Also, thank you for the wishes--Herr von Spaun is still a very sharp individual. Ill send you any copies of pice of him after I finally get the U 181 stuff to you and to Ivan. [​IMG]

18. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Erich,

Gerd was an SS Unterscharfuhrer and served with the Div Stab and then with 1 and 2 Kompanies of the Der Fuhrer Regt.He fought in Russia,Normandy and Hungary.

Paul [​IMG]

19. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Paul :

What are the possiblites of him signing a pic of himself in tunic, etc. for yours truly ? Is this out of hand ?

E

20. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Paul, if possible can he relate his thoughts/memories of the last battles in Hungary for you ? Would love to get a German vets impressions on the last couple of months of the war in this area.

E