Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Anymore Tigers out there?

Discussion in 'Military Vehicle Restoration' started by leelad03, Aug 18, 2010.

1. leelad03

leelad03 recruit

We all know about the Tiger that can move and has featured in BOB & SPR films/programme, which is located at Bovington Tank Musium in England, Are there any other Tigers or even Panthers that can still move or fire?
    Thanks
    Lee

(also one other thing i have always wanted to find out is has anyone ever tried to rebuild or restore a stukka?)

2. Stitchy

Stitchy Member

The Bovington Tiger is the only Tiger in the world that can still move under it's own power and, interestingly, Bovington had to pull the Maybach HL 230 out of their King Tiger to get it running again after they blew up the original motor. Go here for the full Bovington Tiger story (interesting reading!).

Supposedly, there's a running King Tiger in France at the Musee des Blindes. Go here for a relatively current list of surviving Tigers and King Tigers (Dial-up users, caution! Large PDF file!).

I believe there are at least two or three Panthers still in running order, and at least one that I know of currently under restoration to running status.

Gebirgsjaeger likes this.
  3. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

4. Stitchy

Stitchy Member

This is a little off the subject, but I just discovered a truly awsome armor collection not too far from me in the Bay Area that (now) includes a running Panther Ausf. A; go here for photos & info. This is one place I would LOVE to visit someday! The problem would be getting me out of there! Here's some info on the place: Jacques Littlefield Military Vehicle Collection. Page 1 of 3

5. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

There was a show on Jaques' Panther restoration called "Tank Overhaul". Its been on the Military Channel quite a bit lately. Its also on YouTube. Here is part 1: A search for "Panther Tank Overhaul" should turn up the rest.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYq0jaaEu48[/YOUTUBE]

6. Le Chant

Le Chant Member

The King Tiger here in Saumur does indeed run perfectly, and it's as awesome a sight now as it must have been back in the day!

Website - Tigre II - Le musée des blindés Hear the roar of the Maybach engine!

Martin Bull likes this.
  7. Up From Marseille

Up From Marseille Member

Jacques Littlefield passed away last January; Here's hoping his 200+ vehicles remain open to public viewing.

8. Takao

Takao Ace

With regards to the OP,

The Tigers in SPR and BOB were T-34s made up to look like Tigers, the did the same thing in the movie "Kelly's Heroes"

There is a 7/10 scale replica Stuka that flies in the US, google "N87LL" for more information on it. IIRC, there were also 1 or 2 3/4scale replicas flying in Russia.

9. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

For years it was assumed that none of the surviving Stukas could ever fly - but last year a still photograph in Flypast magazine of Hendon's G2 being prepared for the film The Battle of Britain caused some consternation! Since then, I note the Wiki entry has been amended...

It's not impossible that Hendon's G-2 COULD still be restored to flyworthiness, given that it's been in the best of dry storage ever since! But given that it's in the RAF Museum at Hendon, it's unlikely ever to find its way now into private hands for another attempt :(

The film company had to alter their flying Spitfires ALL to resemble MkVBs - this was the commonest variant in their "airforce!" so altered all the others to MKVB appearance LOL - and to build a large number of ground-running replicas etc.....hence no money to do anything more than get the engine running on G-2. As it was, only ONE of the "Proctukas" ever flew - and once only, the pilot refused to fly it again it was so dangerous! :) Instead, a number of scale models were used for the Stukas in flight in the film.

10. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

There remains one more option...

Sir Tim for many years funded the now-defunct (after his death) Highland Fighter Collection in NZ, and IIRC sold on the Stuka-and-a-bit to fund some of the HFC's later flightworthy restorations - a pair of Ratas and a Hurricane IIRC. Again, it's a pity that 6234 is now in the hands of a museum...​

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Theres more than one running Tiger. Also, there are at least two owned by AAmericans that I can think of, both are Billionnaires, one in Calif the other up North somewhere. Also, a German Museum in Munster or Munich??? I forget which?? was selling their Tiger about 10 years ago.

12. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I missed this first time around....Wow ! Fantastic stuff.....:cool:

13. chibobber

chibobber Member

Here in Chicago we have had a Stuka and a Spitfire hanging from the ceilling of the Museum of Science and Industry for many years. And for all you U-boat fans the U-505 has been moved in doors and restored. You can walk around it and also tour the interior. These displays are outstanding and if you are ever in Chicago,they are a must see. The 1st division (Big Red One) museum has an excellent outdoor display of armour and a great museum with a recreated WW1 trench system that you can walk through. This located about 30mileswest of the city in Cantigney Park in Wheaton.
    And finally if you wantto see warbirds fly take in the EAA convention in Oshgosh Wisconsin at the end of July.WW1 to F117 fly at this event along with formations of P51s,B17s,P47s,P40s and on occasion a P38.Ifyou are amember you can walk the flight line.Watch your six, Bob

14. leelad03

leelad03 recruit

I wonder how hard it would be to get,find original parts for a Tiger, there must be somewere never been descovered before which locate all different things were ever they used to build tanks in germany..

15. Martin Bull

I wouldn't bank on it. As with original WWII aircraft parts, there will be a dedicated 'underground network' by which any parts are located by and sold between collectors/museums/restorers etc.

16. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Martin's on the money there.
    You'd be surprised just how much effort goes into the hunt Leelad, by people far better resourced than the average nerd.
    Magnetometers to the East etc.
    The background alleged skullduggery that sometimes appears to go on, perhaps underlines the rarity.

'Tiger', or 'Tiger b/King Tiger'?
    There is only one running original 'Tiger', and that's at Bovington.

The Wheatcroft Collection has announced an intention to build a King Tiger from bits. I was sure it was mentioned in an interview with their main man on HMVF a while back too, but can't seem to find it now.
    Ah, Good old Google Cache:
    Kevin Wheatcroft by Rick Whyte

~A
    p.s.:

Main Wheatcroft Site, as I suppose some may not have seen it:
    http://www.wheatcroftcollection.com/home.html

Martin Bull likes this.
  17. Martin Bull

Thanks, Adam ! I couldn't remember the name of the collection when I posted....:eek:

Looks like they haven't followed up that Panther book they did two years ago....:(

Ah, well - looks like with my budget I'll be sticking to 1/35 scale.....:rolleyes:

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Adam, I was referring to Tigers and not their bigger brothers ;-))

PS, Long time no see and hope things are going well for you? Take care--Carl.

19. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

20. Sturmpioniere

Sturmpioniere Member

Actually, believe it or not the Tiger featured in BOB and SPR was a converted T-34 and is owned by the 9th SS reenactment group. And guess what, I've seen it up close and in battle:metalhead: http://www.9thsspanzer.com/VandE/Tiger.html