Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Anyone know about George Steven's Hollywood Irregulars?

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by mac2017, Jan 31, 2017.

1. mac2017

mac2017 New Member

Legendary filmmaker, George Stevens, who is famous for such works as Shane, Giant, and The Diary of Anne Frank was one of the few directors responsible for going oversees to capture footage of World War II. He was tasked by General Eisenhower to assemble a team of cameraman, and writers to help him. It was called the Special Coverage Unit (SPECOU) but it was affectionately known as the Hollywood Irregulars or Stevens' Irregulars.

I was just wondering if there were any George Stevens experts out there who could identify some of the members on his team. I have Ivan Moffat, Dick Kent, William Saroyen, Irwin Shaw , Bill Mellor, Ken Marthay, Jack Muth, Bill Hamilton, John Hollingsworth Morse, joe Biroc and Phil Drell.

Is there any other major ones I'm missing? Does anyone know how they were split up in squads or anything about their individual personalities. Or if any were killed in action

I'm doing a research project.

2. NNorfolk

NNorfolk New Member

My granduncle was a member of this unit. Pinckney Ridgell. I remember seeing his photographs of a bombed out Paris when I was younger, among other things. He had a collection of the SS ceramic figures that were made by Jewish prisoners, and had the SS stamp on the bottom. I don't know many details on his position though.
    Yahoo! Groups