Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Anyone looking for information on German Vets?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by C.Evans, Dec 26, 2000.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

To anyone interested. If you are looking for information, or to contact German vets, ask me here.

2. M60A1

M60A1 Member

I am trying to get any information available about Oberfeldwebel Gerhard Bohne, KIA on Krete, 25 May 1941. At the time of his death he was assigned to the Fallschirm-Fla MG Battalion, out of 11th Flieger Korp, and may have been my late father's cousin. Any info at all would be most appreciated. I have already contacted the Fallschirmjaeger Bund and Oberst Steffen Rhode is also helping me look for info. Thank you.

[This message has been edited by M60A1 (edited 26 December 2000).]

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear M60A1: Go to my friend Greg Ways site at http://www.divingeagles.co.uk Greg has some very interesting contacts with many many Fallschirmjager personnel, and vets organizations. Also, if the link does not connect, try his email at greg.way@cwcom.net

The name sounds very familiar though, was he a Knights Cross Recipient? and or, did he serve in Africa? I will check my books anyway, and see what I can find out.

4. M60A1

M60A1 Member

I have been in contact with Greg Way for about one year, and he has been providing me with some assistance. That is how I found out what unit he was assigned to when he was KIA. To the best of my knowledge he was not a Ritterkreuztraeger, as he is not listed as such in the Fallschirmjaeger Knoght's Cross book. He was KIA on 25 May 1941 on Crete, so he probably never served in North Africa.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear M60A1: I checked my books but, found noth ing on him-even though, there are a few RKT's that have that last name.

Keep in touch with Greg on the Fallschirm Questions. He is one of the best authorities I know of on the subject. As for RKT info, I can help you and if you wanted a few vets to contact, I can also help you. Just let me know if you want to write to any.

6. J.Mahoney

J.Mahoney Member

Dear C.Evans: Do you have any addresses you can pass along to me. I would like to write to some german vets. Please let me know.

Do you have addresses to any german veterans organizations? Especially for the tank troopes.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear J.Mahoney: yes I do have addresses I can pass along but I have hundreds, and need to know whice branch of the Wehrmacht you want addresses for. If you dont have a preferance, just let me know and I will give you some.

8. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Member

Hello Ce, im looking to contact uboat commanders, can you tell me how? also, I wanted to know if you have any ww2 generals addresses or admirals addresses? any help you can give me will be great! thanks.

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Email me at: Laughingsawfish@hotmail.com and I can give you some addresses.

When writing to them, make sure you do NOT, I repeat, do NOT ask them if they will sell or give you any of their items.

When asking for an autograph, send them some money to help them cover the costs of supplies and postage. Its not a requiremnet, and it helps them since most are on fixed income.

Hope this helps.

10. J.Mahoney

J.Mahoney Member

Thanks for emailing me the 20 addresses. I will let you know when I start getting some letters in. I really appreciate it-kudos from Joe.

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

No problem, if anyone else is interested in vet addresses, just let me know.

12. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Member

Hi C.E. if you can please let me have some knights cross vets addresses, i will appreciate it alot. By the way, how many autograpgs do you have? just curious.

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Gladly. Which branch of service do you prefer, if any? Let me know and I will send some.

14. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I enjoy talking to vets and listening to their experiences. I have more experience with American vets because of location. I have met some German vets while I was stationed in Germany but many seemed not to want to talk about the war. Do you have a list of German vets who like to talk about their experiences. I know for alot of them, that was the pinaccle of their life and like to talk about it. Not looking for trophies but just wanting to hear more from the other side.

------------------
    Tschuss

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I sure do, I have over 500 addresses to German vets. Just let me know if you prefer a certain fighting branch, or if you have no favorites. Also, if you want some addresses, I will have to do them by email. Let me know here or at Laughingsawfish@hotmail.com on what you want and I will send some.

16. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I'm open to branches. I just think it's great listening to their experiences. I will accept any you think would be great to get in contact with. Just let me know of the proper etiquette. Thanks

------------------
    "They wrote in the old days that it is sweet and fitting to die for one's country. But in modern war there is nothing sweet or fitting in your dying. You will die like a dog for no good reason."

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Ok, I will be back online tomorrow and or if you contact me at: Laughingsawfish@hotmail.com I will start you off with say 10 addresses. I cant post their addresses on an open forum for privacy reasons.

As for the proper way to write them:

Just be yourself. Do not, I repeat, Do not ask a vet if he will sell you an item of his. They consider that a big insult and a slap in their face.

Most do speak or understand English to an extent. You can attempt to write them in German but do not have to. Whatever you do, they will appreciate it, because they will see that you tried.

You can ask for an autographed photo but, its wise to include at least $5.00 to help them with shipping and photo costs. They do not charge money for a signed photo. They get many requests and it costs them tons of money to respond.

For instance, my friend Remy Schrijnen gets a daily average of about 20 letters. When I visited him, he showed me the stack of letters he recieved that day, it was about 4 inches thick! So you see what I mean, when I suggest that you pay for the costs. Also, most of the vets are on fixed income.

If you need any more info, just ask. Take care-yours "Carl".

18. J.Mahoney

J.Mahoney Member

To C.Evens, I have recieved to date 14 replies with autographed photos too. All of them have written to me in english! I especially liked the letter and photos from Remy Schrijnen, Heinrich Springer, Hans Hauser and Paul Brasack the best.

When I get the rest of my replies in I will let you know. Thanks again bro--I owe you a bunch. Joe

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks for the update and glad you are having great success with the KC recipients.

20. R Fogt

R Fogt Member

Regarding M60A1's request for information on Oberfeldwebel Bohne:

According to the German War Graves website he died at Iraklion, Crete and is buried in the military cemetery in Maleme, Greece (block 1 grave #810)