Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Anyone looking for information on German Vets?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by C.Evans, Dec 26, 2000.

1. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Carl and Erich,
    Good advice re the veterans guys,you are certainly right if you treat these guys with the respect and consideration they deserve you can get much in return from the experiences of the men who fought the war.
    I have certainly found that to correspond in German or at least try will get a much better response and the vets will allow you to continue to write to them,and tell more about themselves than a short reply together with a photo,although some can speak and write better English than me!!
    The main thing though is not to expect something for nothing and paying their postage is the minimum that should be done.

Can't help with anything to do with SS Pz Abt 11 or s.Abt 503 Erich i'm afraid i've only got Will Fey's book,although i'm hoping to spend a bit of money on new books soon.

Cheers....Paul [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

No problems Paul ! :D I had checked that JJF publications in Canada has re-released Wilhelm Tieke's III. SS Panzer Korps book originally done by Munin Verlag......into English. 11th SS and 23 SS Nederland. The book is out and am just waiting to hear when it is available across the border here into the states. The book has quite a bit of new photos and much more on Nederland including material from one of the Nederlands Sturmgeschutz crews. Sounds like a good book, as the other books on these two units have really been broken up into very small volumes over the last 15 years. This book I believe will interest all those gents who are interested in armor battles and the Waffen SS.

[​IMG] [​IMG] E

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks Erich--Paul.

Erich: we are currently holding the taliban at bay, but our ammo will be running low in a few days if this keeps happening--so make the trip to the ammo dump as soon as you can.

Paul: the package will be in the mail for you in about 2 hrs--hopefully it will get to you quicker than the photos I sent to Erich.

As he said though--with this new round of threats going on, one wonders?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

Carl,Paul and Erich, thanks for all the help. Sending them $20 sounds like a good amount and I'll write to them in german too, it may take me forever since my german is very rusty. I completey understand all of your concerns about the vets and I will do nothing dishonorable to affend this men.

Carl thanks for talking time to look them up for me. I really apperciate it.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Drake: No problem--I havent finished by a longshot yet. If the internet plays ball and doesnt messup again (already did this morning) I can continue to look at the RKT info.

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Drake :

Just be patient.......that's all. I am sending out 6 letters next week and really do not expect them to have answers on my door till almost after Christmas. IF they can can get the letters out of New York without radiating them all this will be good news, on the other hand I am not sure what happens when the return mail comes from Germany with fotos enclosed and they radiate them..... ! Ah what happens, do they shrink :eek: probably not but I sure would hate to open a letter of an RK guy and find a smoked pic plus the letter being slightly brown in colour :D :D

Good luck friend

E

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Im kinda surprised that we aint heard in the news about any anthrax cases in Europe--yet. :rolleyes:

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

I have heard from two friends in central Germany that say it is in there area/// ....
    maybe the Europeans are smart and getting a media lid on this without allowing teir folks to freak out ! ??

E

9. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

Too bad we can't get a lid on ou media.

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I agree with both uv ya. Also agree on putting a lid on our media--but no-thats a 2 way street called censorship which is worng and the news media is wrong too--and they know it. :mad:

11. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Erich,

Are you still interested in any Bio information on soldiers from s. SS Pz Abt 503? I have some info on SS Untersturmfuhrer Oskar Schafer who won the RK as the commander of a Konigstiger in 1945.If this info would be useful to let me know.

Cheers and happy new year,

Paul [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Paul, YES, YES my friend. This would be wonderful to put in with the rest of the other materials I am trying to gain on the Abteilung.

Thank you sir and all the best for a very successful year 2002 !

E

13. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Erich,

My apologies for not posting this before had a hectic couple of days!!

SS Untersturmfuhrer Oskar Schafer:

9/11/38 joined 12 Kompanie SS Standarte "Deutschland" as a Freiwillige.Served with this Regiment in Poland,France and Russia (Moscow) as an Infantry soldier until severely wounded.

End of 1942 joined SS Panzer Abt 5 "Wiking" in Southern Russia.

Sopmetime in 1943 was posted to Sennelager Panzer Training school and then to s SS Panzer Abt 503.

He was awarded the RK on 29/4/45 during the fighting for Berlin whilst commanding 3 Kompanie of the Abt,i think the award was at the same time as that of Sturmbannfuhrer Friedrich Herzig and Hauptscharfuhrer Karl Korner of s. SS Panzer Abt 503 also.

That's all i have at the moment,hope it is of help if i find out anymore i'll let you know.

Cheers
    Paul [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Thanks Paul !

Materials are now copied and filed with SS Schwere Pz. Abteilung 503 folder that I am keeping.

Great stuff.......keep writing those vets.....

Erich :D :D :D

15. SMJ

SMJ Member

Hi

Im very interested in knowing everything about the SS volunteers from Faroe Islands.

I know the odds are very small of anyone knowing anything about them, but it´s worth a chance

Here is the names of the 5 Faroese soldiers, there joined the German SS:

Sverri Djurhuus (Born 11 July 1920, he´s was in Freikorps Danmark)
    Richard Joensen (Born 27.05.1924 Died in Narwa the 03.05.1944, Freikorps Danmark)
    Johannes Toftum,(Also died in Narwa, I have the date of he´s birth, and the day he died, if needed, Freikorps Danmark
    Leivur Restorff (Wiking ab 1944, joined SS very late in the war)
    Carl Sofus Johan Hansen (Born in Thorshavn, faroe Islands, Deserted i 43/44)

If you know any thing, i meen ANYthing, about any of these soldiers, please let me know.

Or if you know any veterans, who where in Narwa, in 44, maybe they can remember one of them

Thanks;
    Sverri

16. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Sverri :

Can this be of some help to you ? Sorry I do not have a thing on the Danes serving in the W-SS but here is a site that I think is still operational that covers some materials on W-SS Division Wiking.

http://www.ordonnans.demon.nl

do you have by chance the 11th SS Panzer Division book by Wilhem Tieke ?

E good luck !

17. SMJ

SMJ Member

Thanks you very much.

C Ya later!

18. knightsx

knightsx Member

HELLO C. EVANS

I'm looking to contact waffen ss and heer panzer division veterans. Please assist with some addresses if possible. Thank you in advance.

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I can possibly do--send me a PM and ill get back to you by tomorrow--Carl.