Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Anzio-Nettuno & Cassino

Discussion in 'What If - Mediterranean & North Africa' started by Andreas Seidel, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

Suppose that the Germans, either by weakening the front in the south a bit more, or transferring the 9th SS or transferring 2-3 other combat-ready divisions from Yugoslavia, France or the Ersatzheer, managed not only to contain but to completely eliminate the beachhead at Anzio-Nettuno and force the Anglo-American invasion force to surrender, with perhaps a small portion of it withdrawing to Sicily, North Africa and or Southern Italy.

What consequences would this have had for morale on both sides, the further conduct of the Italian campaign and the landings in France later that year?

2. Jumbo_Wilson

Jumbo_Wilson Member

Interesting one this Andreas.

IMHO:

For the allied cause it would have been a mixed blessing. On the good side it would probably have seen the back of Mark Clark. The Italian front was pretty much part of Brooke's peripheral strategy and we would probably have seen the closing down of the Italian front earlier than actually was the case. Perhaps it would have delayed the liberation of Rome and slowed the allied advance.

For Germany a much-needed victory, but depending how it was done would have influenced how the Germans dealt with Normandy - on the beaches or after a couple of days. I think that is where the real impact would have been seen.

Jumbo

3. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Very good point, Jumbo! It would have certainly influentiated a lot what tactics to follow in Normandy. Keßelring would have had to teach Rommel and von Runstedt how to do the job... :D
    It was a victory needed for Germany, of course. It would have raised the morale of the army.

And perhaps it would have delayed the D-day a bit more, because I think that the allied commanders would have played even more carefully in the plannings and the performance of "Overlord".

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

If that had happened, I would think that Ike would have put someone like Patton in charge instead of an oaf like Clark.

With Patton in charge--morale would not be a factor. Morale would definately improve, as well as the fighting capabilities. Certainly Paton would have had some excellent divisions under his command--like the 3d Inf and the 36th inf, the 45th Inf--just to name a few.

I dont know how that would chane in the plans for fighting in France etc--but Patton would get the job done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.