Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

April 25th

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Miguel B., Apr 25, 2009.

1. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

Today in POrtugal, we celebrate the 25th of April. The day we finally got rid of the dictatorship of that son of a whore (no other word for him) Salazar. May he blissfully spend his days in hell boiling in a pit of Sulphur... Basically it was when we began having democracy :) 35 years ago the MFA took over the state. Sick of the never-ending war (it was already on it's 13th year) which was draining the state coffers and people, sick of the social injustices where you had an elite doing well and people who had to steal sardines, used as manure to help fertilizing the lands, in order to have something to eat, sick of seeing people disappearing without a trace for months or forever, sick of seeing the police brutality whenever people spoke their thoughts about the condition of the country; There were always undercover cops in a crowd and, if you started to boo the state they'd at least beat you up. If you were educated enough - if you went to college for instance - you'd win a free trip to a state concentration camp where you'd be tortured and sometimes killed and became one of those people who just vanished.

So, let's all remember what happened and show people what values are worth defending lest we forget!

So, for everyone of you freedom lover buggers, Happy April's 25th.

Cheers...

Stefan, chocapic, blacksnake and 3 others like this.
  2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Just shows you, how change can be so enjoyable. We would never today that Portugal had never been anything but a free democracy.

Indeed most in west under a certain age will never have heard of the African problems let alone Portugals own turn to democracy.

Brings to mind the Portugese navy to who did their national duty in Goa. Again certain age and now confined to history.

Couldnt be a more peaceful nation now. And did it themselves without the rest of us making matters worse.

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I'm with you Miguel, enjoy your freedom, don't ever take it for granted.

4. razin

razin Member

Urqh your just showing your age Happy democarcy day (or whatever) Miguel and Za.

to all down under have a good Anzac Day

Steve

5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I remember the fighting in 1974. Thought it odd at the time as they looked like US soldiers and were using US equipment.

Anyway, glad you got things in order and have prospered well since then.:cheers:

6. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

well, that's debatable. Because for the first time since it's recorded, the next generation will have a worse life than the generation before... Our neo-liberal government sucks... They press charges against the media, pay huge bonuses to investors who dealt with arms dealers, use taxpayers money to help paying for the bonuses of the major shareholders... sigh...

Cheers...

7. urqh

Ahhh..grasshopper...welcome to democracy...

8. chocapic

chocapic Member

Salute !

Too bad Salazar was already eating cravos from the roots up and didn't live long enough to see this ;)

9. Heidi

Heidi Dishonorably Discharged

what? were yuo in conception camp? by skippers post,which i read,it seems yuo were.
    it muste have been hell for yuo in those condisions,i admire yuo so much.
    and yuo share you;re special day with the anzacs,tha;s a other speiacl feature.
    enjoy yuo're freedom.:)

10. fast1

fast1 Member

yea congrats on your freedom, i hope you get to use it to the fullest![​IMG]

11. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

No. I'm far too young to have lived trough April's 25th. I know people who were clandestine and spent a few months in "holidays" near Caxias...

Cheers...

12. Heidi

Heidi Dishonorably Discharged

oh...great ,young people with respecte for older paterons of ww2. Well,i stilladmire yuo.

13. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

Yay. I have a(nother) fan :D

Thanks for the compliment :)

Cheers...

urqh likes this.
  14. urqh

Only cos poor Heidis English has decoded that you are a survivor of the Portugese concentration camps of ww2....

But take the kudos where you can....

15. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

Yeah I'm that desperate...:p
    Gotta enjoy these moments as they are the last remnants of human empathy I receive these days...
    :D

Cheers...