Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Ardennes 70th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Doc Sausage, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Doc Sausage

Doc Sausage Member

Not sure if this is the right place but does anyone know if there are any special commemorations fro the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge similar to the recent D-Day celebrations

I've looked on a number of Belgian tourism sights but aside from the usual ceremonies in Bastogne and the 2ID concert in Arlon there doen't seem to be much happening

Thanks in advance
    Doc

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

This is just my personal view but it seems to have been overshadowed by the D-Day commemorations for some reason. I have just returned from a trip to the Ardennes and there seemed to be nothing referring to any special events ( in stark contrast to 2004, when the whole area was covered in '1944-2004' posters, with special booklets and tour guides available at every Tourist Information office ). In fact, there were lots of posters and exhibitions current about the 100th Anniverary of WW1. So, it seems that Bulge events this year may be low-key.

3. Doc Sausage

Doc Sausage Member

Thanks Martin, that's the impression I got when I was out there recently and searching the web - seems a shame.