Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Are Pistols Really Useless?

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by bob007, Jul 26, 2010.

1. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Alright BS Alert has ended. I have located this thanks to Biak:
    Modern Firearms - QSPR silent revolver

To save the trouble of clicking on the link it's a Smith & Wesson model 29 with a 1" barrel that fired a special multi projectile round (Bird Shot-ish).

2. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

sorry sarge. didn't know google now calls it a tunnel gun. read about it long before the earnet. :D

[​IMG]

formerjughead likes this.
  3. formerjughead

That's the same picture they have over at THR.com

Here is a Wiki article about it:
    Sorry I blew up

4. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

It still does not answer the question of what was used. The Model 29 as stated was only made in 25 to 250 sample firearms. Bad accounting "or what"- to not know how many were made? That to me leaves a long way to arrive at "The" gun used for tunnel rats.

Just found this to muddy the water some more. From Time magazine 1966 issue: states that .22 cal. pistols were used.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,835207,00.html

5. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Formerjughead wrote:
    I understand why you did Brad, it's because he called it a hootch gun for hootch fighting. A hootch is a hut, dwelling, or even a ponch strung up to sleep under. It is not a tunnel and that is what he described. It was the improper terminology that set off my B.S. meter. Now that we know he was talking a weapon used by 'Tunnel Rats', it's a different story.

6. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

i guess the answer is you fight with whatever you have.

7. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

It could be worse:

Attached Files:

8. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

A pistol bayonet! Now why didn't I think of that.

9. sf_cwo2

sf_cwo2 Member

As I understand it, the error was in the initial quantity ordered. It was thought 500 were requested when only 250 were. That caused a delay until the next fiscal year. The first test guns retained their 4" barrel and had an aiming light mounted on the top strap. The reason "standard" pistols weren't used was injuries caused by over-pressure in the tight confines of tunnels. You can easily rupture the ear drum and cause other internal trauma which would leave one temporarily stunned. The choice of a buckshot round was in order to increase hit probability. You didn't always have the chance to aim properly in those confines and all you could do was stick the pistol around the corner and shoot.

This pistol, however, is a specialty item and really doesn't help to address the question posed by this thread. Pistols were very valuable up to WW2. Today, someone will always have more firepower when your rifle runs dry and you must transition to a pistol. You now have the limited opportunity to take a few more out with you or deny the enemy a chance to make a beheading video for your family to see.

BTW, I agree re: "Hooch Handgun". Everyone knows they're called Quonset Quillers©®™!

10. Biak

It appears from multiple searches that the weapon of choice of the "Tunnel Rats" was the one they were either comfortable with or had on them. As for defense; I expect these guys could just stand behind their very large brass ones!

11. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

45 was probably a way better choice for tunnel rats larger hunk of lead equals a dead person not a person still living because of that snub nose revolver from that earlier post

12. sf_cwo2

sf_cwo2 Member

Did you read the post or just look at the pretty pictures? It fired a modified .410 shotshell. Fire a .45acp in your living room and tell me if you can still answer the phone. Now try it in the trunk of your car. Still with us?

formerjughead likes this.
  13. Biak

The "pretty picture" is question, as has been pointed out, is a Photo-shopped depiction of a 'purported' M-29. So in essence a fake gun. If anyone cares to check out this link; The Smith & Wesson Model 29 "Tunnel Gun" - THR there is another detailed discussion about the guns used by the tunnel rats of Vietnam. The Model 29 if used at all, was not much use.

14. sf_cwo2

sf_cwo2 Member

Reading comprehension must be a dying art.
    View attachment 12470

Attached Files:

15. formerjughead

16. Biak

Model 15 S&W was (according to the above link) a sought after weapon. Maybe that is one ?

Reading also shows the "piston popper" used a shell that resembled a .410. Nothing modified about it.

17. sf_cwo2

sf_cwo2 Member

Did it fire like a conventional cartridge? 549-789uh6ejk[-s--OOPS, one of my stacks of everyday piston-primed casings waiting to be loaded fell on the keyboard. BTW "modified" was the term used in the report. If semantics is all you've got...

18. Biak

You're right I need to apologize. I misunderstood your previous posts as stating that the QSPR was the preferred gun used in lieu of other guns ie: the .45. There seems to be a varied opinion and until I have personally sat down and talked to someone who has actually done the job in question, tunnel rat, I'll refrain from discussing the specifics.
    What set me off was; I've noticed that there has been a resurgence lately of sarcasm and veiled ridicule and your response to another poster raised my hackles more than it should have. New and first time posters have asked for and at times received what amounts to a "You're at the wrong place" answer. Had the reply been of a more positive note probably would have added another member to the site instead of driving them elsewhere. Not everyone who logs on is an expert and as is being discussed in another thread now, courtesy goes a long way.

19. sf_cwo2

sf_cwo2 Member

I can't speak to the "new posters" comment as I wasn't involved so injecting that in this thread is just wrong. I can offer some insight as to why one may give such a response. There are countries and states on this planet that allow ownership of military weapons. Many of those owners have served in the military. Therefore, it is likely to encounter someone on the 'net that has lots of firsthand experience with a particular firearm. Playing "accurate" video games, airsoft, buying/reading all the good gun books, etc., does not earn you a place at the table. So, posting inane comments like '45 was probably a way better choice for tunnel rats larger hunk of lead equals a dead person not a person still living because of that snub nose revolver from that earlier post' shows one's ignorance of firearms. A new poster may see that and think 'I'm going to buy a .45 for protection and practice in my self-made basement range'. Firing a firearm inside is not a pleasant experience. I don't tolerate perpetuation of BS regarding firearms because they lead to jeopardizing one's safety in favor of another's ego. Besides, shooters love to share their knowledge & experience. Just check your ego at the door.

My response to the properly quoted post still stands. Maybe you should become a mod if you feel like playing Superman.

20. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Snap. Sf2 is hard as nails. Respect that. The day might come when you and Jugs either marry or kill each other. There can be only one. lol. Peace men.