Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Are these vets still replying?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Phil, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Phil

Phil Member

I am hoping to write to the following RKT's next week, please can someone tell me if they are still replying to letters.

Rudolf Schier - ?
    Alois Eisele - Inf.Rgt. 421
    Hans Hauser - SS-Sturmbannfuhrer in Das Reich
    Paul-Albert Kausch - SS Obersturmbannfuhrer in SS-Pz.Rgt. 11
    Gerhard Fischer - 3./SS-PzJgAbt 5, 5.SS-Panzer Division "Wiking"
    Dr.Hans Lipinski - 'Horst Wessel'

Thanks
    Phil [​IMG]

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Phil :

I can say for a fact that Paul Kausch of 11th Pz. Gr. Division hadpassed away on October 27, 2001.
    Bummer as I had several questions about the ammalgation of the HvSalza Panzer/Stug Abteilung and the SS Schwere Pz. Abt. 503 in 1945....

sorry for the news

~E

3. Phil

Phil Member

Thanks Erich for the sad news, This is why I really need to write them. Do you know if Rolf DÜE is still with us?

Cheers
    Phil

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Phil :

I am not sure of the others. Paul Errass or Carl Evans would be the ones to contact I think.....

~E

5. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Talking of vets, just found something today that I thought I should share...

Ive posted on the various threads in past on what your family members did in service etc..

Most of my family have served including myself and brother.

Going back to ww1 and 2 then onto retreat from empire days, which is why my favourite site is Britains small wars that I have highlighted in my profile.

But to stay with ww2, one uncle killed at Gravelines with intitial BEF, dad and brother both in Royal Navy, on convoy duties I believe and then dad onto lct and served in Normandy landings...one uncle RMP thoughought Normandy and then occupation forces after war.

Grandad battery sgt major royal artillery 14th army Burma.

But today after much searching, knew the boat existed but couldnt get much info..contacted by someone who knew father on a web site about Burma of all things...gave me some details on him..HMS Foley, frigate, 1943, sank U538 off Irish coast.

Great when things come together...Foley was a lend lease boat, not the 4 funnel ships for bases destroyers, but one leased to RN while still being built on US slips..Given back to US navy at end of war. Dad had moved on by then according to his records.

Sorry for the crew of the U boat, but its really something when things like this turn up...

Regards

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hans Hauser still replies but I dont know on the rest oh and Paul-Albert Kausch passed away last year. :(

7. Stevin

Stevin Ace

U538

Launched: 20 nov 1942
    Commissioned: 10 feb 1943
    Class: IXC/40
    CO: Kpt-Lt Johann Ebert Gossler (lost)
    Date of loss: 21 nov 1943
    Location: Atlantic, SW of Ireland 45 degrees 40'N 19 degrees 35' W
    Cause: Depth charge
    Casualties: 55
    Survivors: None
    Salvaged: No

Note: The second 'kill' by British DE.U538 was sunk by HMS Foley and HMS Crane of SG7 during operations in support of convoy SL.139/MKS.30

8. urqh

Stevin, where did you get that info from..? Suddenly Im finding all kinds of stuff I had problems getting hold of....Cheers.

9. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

I have often thought about writing to vets but I have always been left wondering what I would say. What does one say to an RKT? It is slightly easier in person but if you dont mind my asking, when you guys write to vets, what kind of things do you say?

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I know for myself personally since I do ask pretty specific questions, I do a little background search on the individual first. Such as what awards did they receive, dates, actions on what Front/Theater. Treat the RK award winner like anyone else that I have interviewed.....with respect and understanding. Probably ask yourself why you interviewing this particular gentleman in the fist place and then off you go.
    I always begin by sharing with the vet who I am and what interest I may have(example, Luftwaffe night fighter crews and their missions).
    And I go ahead and list about 12 to 15 questions which I know they can answer, even if it is an "I cannot remember", at least they have answered. Once I receive a reply I will send them a thank you note within a two week time period and with a little addition if I may ask them some other ww 2 affiliated questions in the near future.

two cents

~E

11. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Urgh, what are we here for!? :D [​IMG] (Our combined resources must be incredible!)

This from a book by Michael Kemp(?). Called "U-Boat losses in WW2" or something naf like that. I am at work now so I can't check. Should have added the source. WIll do so tonite. It is a book about (all?) German U-boot losses in WW2. In the format shown above.

12. Stevin

Stevin Ace

As to writing to vets/RKT's;

I am very much on the same line as Erich; Do at least some research so you know who you are writing to and what his role in the conflict was. It also shows the man you have a genuine interest. I also usually ask specific questions that I think he should be able to answer. In the past I have often found that too general a question leaves you with a general answer. Which, of course, might be what you are after.

In the initial letter (more MIGHT follow if the vet shows an interest in correspondence) I always explain who I am and what my interest is. So the vet knows a bit who he is talking to. Then I ask him if he doesn't mind answering some questions and put a few questions in the letter. I usually limited them to someting like 5-7. Nowadays I think you can't count on striking up a real correspondance with most, due to the age of the men, and I think your letter should be too long. I have a tendency to ramble on myself and perhaps put too much information/detail in a letter. I had to check myself doing that. Also depends on the vet, of course.

As to questions; Just ask what you want to know, I guess, as long as it has some relevance to their war record. Wouldn't get too personal at first. Erich's remark is excellent; Ask yourself WHY are you writing this man and then the Q's will probably come by themselves.

Respect is a given IMHO.

And then the excitement when you find a letter in the mailbox!!

13. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Thanks guys, one day I may sum up the courage to write to a veteran. I will have to look into 12th SS veterans though what to ask and how will take a lot of thinking about.

14. Stevin

Stevin Ace

'one day' might be too late!! Write now! Do it today! Can't stress it enough!

Of course there goes some thinking into writing a letter like this. I am sure you already have some knowledge re. 12th ss. 'Build' your letter around that. Ask him the When, What and Where Q's with regards to his own wartime career. What unit and his perceptions of the possible combat he has witnessed. What are his most vivid memories? Has he read any books on the battles he has been involved in and did they relate something comparable to his experience?

WRITE! NOW! DAZ IST EIN ORDER!

[ 22. April 2003, 04:05 AM: Message edited by: Stevin Oudshoorn ]

15. Stevin

Stevin Ace

To Urgh,

U-Boats Destroyed. German Submarine Losses in the World Wars by PAUL KEMP.

Arms & Armour ISBN 1-85409-515-3

HTH

16. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Stevin's last remark says it all ! Do it now.......as we have seen the last two years the RK receipients death notices are getting larger by the minute. Imagine what the common soldier are doing ? Get on the stick guys if you have adresse's and send those letters out asap.

~E

17. William

William Member

I'm writing when I can and when money allows (I average 25 letters a week to US and German vets). I've recently been fortunate enough to acquire many German veteran addresses.

I'm wondering though, HOW do you folks find out about the deaths of these German vets? Is it through your already established contacts?

18. urqh

Cheers Stevin, am also being pointed to a lot of RN sites that I knew nothing of..trouble with net is there are just too many sites...Even using multiple search engines sometimes fails to produce results..But leave enough messages on military sites and looks like that seems to work eventually..Cheers.

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

What Erich and Stevin says on writing vets I totally concur with.

Stevin--I have a book published by a Uboat vets Verlag--it is part 4 of a 5 vol set. Anyway--part 4 is on uboat losses with the kind of material you have as well as the story behind it. At one time, I was working on a list of my own--I still have it and I think I have about 500 completed, but--I kinda got burned out on working on it and it is in German--so I have some trouble in translating some of the material.

Maybe, if I can get back into being interested in working on it, maybe Otto will be able to have them listed here somewhere.

20. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Carl,

The book is here lying to be shipped to you. It is a good reference. But today, when looking up the info for Urgh, I realised why the book was so cheap; The whole index of U-boats is missing! :(

Still good on info, Carl! ;)