Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Armored Infantry Machine Gun

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by Triple C, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Triple C

Triple C Ace

I am puzzled by the US armored infantry squad. It had nine rifleman with Garands and a 1919 air-cooled machine gun assigned to its M3 half-track. How is that supposed to work?
    Supposedly the 1919 could be taken from the vehicle mount for dismount use with a tripod. That sounds rather cumbersome in practice. The 1919A4 was a clumsy weapon for infantry use, it was the only significant self-defense armament on the half-track, and I can see problems for the infantrymen if they have to leave the vehicle quickly if they want their machine gun.
    How did the armored infantry squad deploy its one and only automatic weapon that had to be dismounted from their vehicle? I am aware that veteran units hoarded automatic weapons, but what about new ones?

2. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

actually the m2 browning 50.cal was the main halftrack armanent.

3. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

why cause it was a better gun to use.

4. razin

razin Member

I don't think you understood the purpose of this thread, it is not what was the M3H/T main armament but how did the use of the M1919 30cal mg fit into the plan for the U.S. Armored infantry squad, as you can see by the fact that no one has posted since Jan 21st. this is a puzzle to most contributors.

The question is why have such a heavy and cumbersome weapon as the M1919 when perhaps other weapons might have been more suitable. I don't know? Do you have any reasoned opinion as to why a M1919 would be better than say a pair of BARs?

Can you give an opinion as to what the function of the armoured infantry squad would be with regard to the other parts of the Armored Force, for example what is its value if any in close fighting or the elimination of Panzerfaust teams.

Was its function the same as that of a German Panzergernadier rifle squad?

Steve

5. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

how about 2 1919a6s

6. razin

razin Member

Why? please expand

7. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

because the 1919a6 would be better how much ammo it can carry and the fact it can be used like a rifle

8. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

The 3 Armored infantry "Rifle" squads had a 30 cal. MG (or a 50 cal. for the command halftrack) mounted on their halftracks.

The fourth squad had two M1919A4 machinegun (light, handy version) teams and a 50 cal. mounted on their halftrack.

The 5th squad serviced a 60 mm mortar and had a mounted 30 cal.

So the platoon, in addition to the plethora of mounted 30 cal. and 50 cal. machineguns, had two 30 cal. LMGs for dismounted use.

That's a lot of machineguns!

9. razin

razin Member

Paratrooper506

OK an M1919A6 is lighter than an M1919A4 with tripod it weighs 35lbs as opposed to the M1919A4 31lbs gun and 14lbs tripod. this is without ammunition. To use it as a rifle you mean in the prone position, only Arnie or Rambo could fire one of these from the shoulder, why do you think two weapons, why do you think the make up was 9 M1s and a M1919A4?

What I am trying to get you to do is engage properly in the forum, to use the interent to find out, and this will benefit you and the forum.

Steve

10. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

The two 1919A4s were deployed outside of the vehicles in two teams.

Regardless, the armored infantry platoon had a plethora of mounted automatic firepower.

That's 3 mounted 30 cal., 2 mounted 50 cal. on five halftracks.

And 2 dismounted 30 cal.

so there's 7 machineguns for the whole platoon.

11. Wolfy

Wolfy Ace

come to think of it, the German SPW platoon was more firepower dense...

12. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

well the reason I thought that was because the m1919a6 could send more lead flying than a standard m1garand there fore making it a better defensive gun

13. Triple C

Triple C Ace

This is a long dead thread but since I haven't found much answers, I would stick around and give it a jolt.

The problem with all those machine guns is that they are mostly mounted. In exploitation and pursuit, this is a non-issue. When an armored column is in contact with the enemy, it should fire its weapons, keep driving and knife through the enemy via shock. But if deployed, doctrine says you fight dismounted from your half-track. So that leaves a platoon of three rifle squads with just two machine guns, and the half-track stays a good distance away.

This is inadequate firepower. My guess is that armored infantry squads would accrue extra BARs or M1919s, but I don't have any evidence to prove it.

14. aglooka

aglooka Member

I always tought the German squad was build as support for its MGs (main weapon)(also made up for the shortage in manpower)
    While the US squad with mediocre MG's and an excellent semi-autmatic rifle relied more on the rifles as main weapons for the squad

many greetings

Aglooka

15. Triple C

Triple C Ace

The German panzergrenadier squad had ten men, two MG-42s, two MP-40s and eight Mausers. Their half-track had a vehicle mounted MG-42/38 and an additional SMG. No shortage of small arms firepower there.

16. Triple C

Triple C Ace

Oh, this is interesting. I have no idea as to the accuracy of this table, but if it is right, then US armored infantry squad has NO organic dismounted machine gun or automatic rifle. How... queer.