Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Arsenal of Democracy Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Mussolini, May 11, 2014.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

The thread of my AAR seems to be attracting lots of attention - lots of views at least - so I thought I'd create this thread for a discussion of what is going on.

So - who is actually following the thread?

2. O.M.A.

O.M.A. Active Member

I'm following along. No questions for now, I think I've just been convinced to buy HOI.

3. Mussolini

My next update will be an interesting one. The improved AI levels mean that I am going to be fighting from 1941+ onwards by myself and changes my strategy entirely. Lets just say Operation Seelowe (Sealion) was a success!

4. Mussolini

Good God, I may have made a mistake upping the AI like I did. Tora Tora Tora has resulted in my Navy being battered (lost a Carrier, but so have the Japs) and Guam - even with 3 Garrisons - and Johnston Islands are in Jap hands. I did fend off another invasion (Nav. Bombers to the rescue) at Marshall Island (i think) but my more southern islands are completely exposed right now. I think I've lost half my destroyers as well.

The Brits are holding North Africa and are now fighting the Japs in Burma.

The Krauts are nearly to Moscow - taken Leningrad and all. This is going to be one majorly epic War now. I still don't even have Medium Tank Technology (though I have gone from 10 tech-research to 50-techs at a time so starting to catch up). Also, my economy is massive...700 IC or so...but not building troops yet since I lack Tank Techs and Mot. Inf. I just added a dozen Destroyers, L.Cruisers, and even a dozen Carriers with CAGs to my build cue. I think I am going to add Nav. Bombers as well to try and step the IJN storming my beaches.

5. Mussolini

I think I am going to restart this AAR, and get back to where I am.

Apparently, units are not automatically selected to Reinforce or Upgrade - so all my wonderful techs have counted for nothing. Theres also an issue with Amph. Armor values that they've now fixed (and just need to release the hotfix for) otherwise they are basically invulnerable.

6. lwd

lwd Ace

Sounds like a real learning experiance for the first try. I'm looking forward to the rerun.

7. Mussolini

I've almost gotten back to where I stopped. Pretty much everything has happened the same way - but I think I accidentally picked the wrong decision, as FDR did not win the 1940 Election! I don't think this changes a whole lot to be honest, but I will try and edit him back into power.

But yes - on previous version, before they added the Jap difficulty, Japan was relatively easy to beat. After onset of war, I'd defeat them (they maybe took Guam, never invaded the Phillipines, etc) quite quickly. Some invasions royally sucked - lots of death - but mainland Japan was far easier as they'd have almost no troops on their South Island.

This time around, it looks like I'm going to get a run for my money.

Once I get to it, the battles with Japan will probably be summarized in monthly-updates. Things really won't get interesting until Invasion China/Japan and Invasion Europe.

8. Mussolini

Restarted to keep FDR in power. Republic Spain won the SCW. The Germans this time only decided to RAID during the Operation Sealion event-chain, so never invaded the UK (I was kinda hoping they would again!). Otherwise, everything else looks like it has gone like last time. Japs DOW me in November like they did the firs time, so thats where I am right now.

I did add more Garrisons to my Islands, and upgraded to level 10 Airfields and Ports where I could. I have no Navy on the East Coast right now (Shh! Don't tell the Germans) but I've managed to research Tanks and Motorized Infantry this time around - so my 700 IC (holy smoly, thats the equivalent of Europe combined!) is going to be spent on that (which are mad expensive in this MOD) along with adding more Air and Naval units.