Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Asan Guam identification help please

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by canda65, Feb 19, 2014.

1. canda65

canda65 New Member

I purchased this medal/badge at an estate sale and would like to give it to my daughter who is a lover of WWII history. I have searched on Japanese medals for Guam but have not been able to find any information. I would like to know if anyone could help with any information that I could give to her on this item. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I have spent about a hour looking online and can not find anything remotely close. Overall it seems crude compared to known types and no round or "coin" design I saw had anything that projected beyond the round edge. Further ribbons for these are either triangular or have curved attachment below the bar, not simply a bar unless it is in the shape of a unfurled banner.

Are you sure it is Japanese, and what does "ASAN" have to do with Guam?

Attached Files:

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I haven't looked at medals yet, but it seems that Asan is a village in Guam that originally was held by the Japanese in WW2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asan,_Guam

4. canda65

canda65 New Member

I have seen a medal on ebay for a the imperial reservist gunnery association that has a wing above the circle. I will try to get the back translated to see if I will give me a clue. The square on top that holds the pin is hand engraved and looks to be sterling silver. Thank you for your help and I will let you know if I can get it translated.

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Quite a challenge indeed, I couldn't find anything either.