Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Atlantikwall in Zeeland.

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by SKYLINEDRIVE, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I love the Frühstück table with the the details comprised , such as the butter box. Those Auer respirators are awesome. It seems logical that that particular Gasmask maker was into ventilation too , but at such a large scale it's the first time I see those items with full markings included.

2. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

This was a sea target battery of the Kriegsmarine located inbetween the villages of Zouteland and Westkapelle.There were seventeen bunkers of which only one remains in place. All the others were destroyed and the ruins were removed after the war. The battery was armed with four 152mm guns, two 75mm guns and three 20mm Flakvierling AA-guns.

The Seezielbatterie was manned by the 7 Marine Artillerie Abteilung. Named W13 by the Allied it was assaulted during Operation Infatuate II by the men of the 48th Royal Marine Commando on November 1st 1944.

There were the following bunkers:

1x Typ M145 Munitionsauffüllraum für Mittelbatterien = Ammunition assembly room for medium batteries
    1x Typ M159 Gefechtsverbandplatz = Field dressing station
    3x Typ FL242 Flakeinheitsstand für mittlere und leichte Flak = Light and medium AA emplacement
    1x Typ FL246 Munitionsauffüllraum für schwere Flak Batterie = Ammunition assembly room for heavy AA battery
    1x Typ S414 Leitstand für mittlere und schwere Batterie = Fire control center for medium and heavy batteries
    4x Typ 501 Einfacher Gruppenunterstand = Group shelter
    4x Typ 671 Sonderkonstruktion Geschützschartenstand = double group shelter
    2x Typ 612 Schartenstand für Lande- und Sturmabwehrgeschütze ohne Nebenräume = Casemate for anti-landing
    and anti-assault guns

The only bunker left is the 1x Typ FL246 Munitionsauffüllraum für schwere Flak Batterie an ammo bunker. Unfortunately the bunker is not accessible it is quite big though with a length of 23.5 meters a width of 15.2 meters and a height of 5.5 meters.It had 9 different rooms: 5 ammo storage rooms; 3 fuse storage rooms and 1 heating room.

FL 246

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

Located to the south-west of the village of Koudekerke, Stp. Kriemhild was a naval radar installation, the radar was of the "Freiburg I (Flum.)" type, it's codename was "Luchs". As all the naval radars in Zeeland it was operated by personnel of the 41. Marine-Funkmesskompanie commanded by Oberleutnant Oswald, who was under the command of the 4. Marine-Funkmessabteilung under Fregattenkapitän Th. Busse

The only bunker I found in my sources for Stp. Krimhild is a V157 Flugmeldestand - Aircraft reporting bunker

V157 Flugmeldestand

Alltough the bunker is intact it has been completely covered with soil, so there is not much to see. Nonetheless it has been classified as an protected historical monument, so there is hope that someday it will be renovated and opened to the public.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two pics of the FuMO 303 Freiburg I.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

The dutch call this area "Bunkerweiltje Nollenbos", the germans "Bunkerdorf Nollenbos", the translation would be: Bunkervillage Nollen Forest .

Information on this site is scarce and very contradictory. Some sources say that it was part of Stützpunkt Edelweiss, others say that it was not part of a Stützpunkt at all. There is no hard evidence and the only information about the bunkers I found was on the Internet! So everything has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Paul Dijkstra writes that there were 10 KüVer 450a type bunkers, but there is also a Vf. 61a Ringstand für 5cm Festungsgranatwerfer(f) = "Position for 5cm french fortress mortar". I can't say if there were other bunkers in the Nollenbos or not.

Informations about the KüVer Bunkers are as sketchy as those about the site. Apparently they are very early Luftwaffe constructions that can only be found in the Netherlands. The KüVer 450a was a shelter for 12 men. For enhanced comfort, the bunker had an added day room, built from soft skin bricks, where the crews could live during daytime. The sleeping quarters were in the hardened bunker. During combat only the bunker would have been in use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KüVer450a #1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The backside of the hardened Bunker.

[​IMG]

The entry into the day room built of bricks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outside view of the dayroom.

[​IMG]

The roof of the hardened bunker.

[​IMG]

The bunker seen from the side.

KüVer450a #2

[​IMG]

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w310/theholeinthedonut/Bunker/Atlantikwall/AOK%2015/Bunkerdorf%20Nollenbos/KuVer%
    20450a%20II/IMG_9210.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much to be seen here.

KüVer450a #3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The third Küver lies on an unaccessible island and it can't be seen in summer when there are leaves on the trees and scrubs.

Vf. 61a Ringstand für 5cm Festungsgranatwerfer(f)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w310/theholeinthedonut/Bunker/Atlantikwall/AOK%2015/Bunkerdorf%20Nollenbos/Vf%
    2061A/IMG_9217.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GRW likes this.
  5. aussyss

aussyss Dishonorably Discharged

Dear Skylinedrive,

Your images on first page; Is that where Germans hideouts were?

6. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Lovely stuff!:cool:

7. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

The whole thread is about german Atlantikwall bunkers, they were npot really "hideouts", rather shelters to protect the troops and the artillery pieces from a pre-invasion bombardment.

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Sky do have an idea of the location of that war time Freiburg pic you posted to shwow what the radar looks like ? There is an inscription but I can't decypher it . The granite and landscape make me think of south Britanny, but I can't be sure.

9. aussyss

aussyss Dishonorably Discharged

Thanks. Just curious I was.

Wonderful photographing. I bet you had chills going down your spine when you took those images. I wonder if you can do 'Now and Then' with those photos of yours?

10. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

@ Skipper: I tried my best but I didn't find a caption for the Freiburg pic! Sorry!

11. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

Stp. Friedrich Barbarossa, near the village of Buttinge, had two Ständiger Ausbau bunkers, two Regelbau 611, Geschützschartenstand für feldgeschütze = "Casemate for field guns.
    Both are still in place but unfortunately they are sealed off, so there was no way to access the interior.

The link to the groundplan at fortiff.be:
    Regelbau

[​IMG]

View of both RB 611.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first RB 611.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second one.

GRW likes this.