Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

August Landmesser’s Defiance against Nazism.

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Tomcat, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Saw this come across facebook and was I found it quite interesting following a search of the forum I couldn't find anything about this fellow so I thought I might post it. There is also a little story about his life during ww2 if you are interested.

"The photo was taken at the launch of a German army vessel in 1936, during a ceremony that was attended by Adolf Hitler himself. Within the picture a lone man stood with arms crossed as hundreds of men and women around him held up their arms in salute and allegiance to the Nazi Party and its leader, Adolph Hitler. Everyone in attendance is showing their undying support for Der Fuhrer by throwing out their very best “Sieg Heil.” August Landmesser, grimacing with arms crossed, stood strong and defiant as he showed his disapproval by not displaying support for the Nazi Party. What made this photo and Landmesser’s defiance unique is that it represented the protest of one man, in its most sincere and pure form. The source of Landmesser’s protest, like many great tragedies, starts with a love story."

[​IMG]

http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/lone-man-refusing-nazi-salute-1936/

2. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member Patron  

Thank you for sharing. Another member posted that photo and I was eager to know who he was and his story.