Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Auschwitz Death Camp, by Ian Baxter

Discussion in 'Biographies and Everything Else' started by dgmitchell, Dec 27, 2009.

1. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

There are some books that I want to read, other books that I need to read, and a very few books that I feel I have a duty to read. So it was that the day before Thanksgiving, I picked up Ian Baxter’s Auschwitz Death Camp. It may seem odd that the day before such a holiday, I would choose to read a book about the Holocaust, but I felt that if I really wanted to be thankful for what I have, a book about Auschwitz would really drive home my good fortune to have been born during the relative safety and security of the post war years in the USA. And at a time in history when there are many who still deny the Holocaust, including some world leaders, I felt that I had a duty to remind myself of that horror.

Read the full review at BiblioBuffet: BiblioBuffet - Writing Worth Reading, Reading Worth Writing About - Life Out of Death 12/27/09

LRusso216 likes this.
  2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Now I am thoroughly shaken. I just finished watching Episode 5 of World War II in HD. Part of the episode describes the mass suicide of Japanese civilians on Saipan. It left me horror-struck. Earlier today, I finished reading Jeff Shaara's No Less than Victory, which goes into some detail about the US liberation of the camps and the horror they discovered. Even though the book is fictional, it is clearly well researched and based on accounts of the war. After those two activities, I spent a difficult hour trying to clear my head of the atrocities that humans are capable of. Then, I read your review. It made an imperfect trifecta of horror. I'm not sure if I'll read the book since I have read and seen enough to last a lifetime, but I agree that it is a necessary addition to our knowledge. I just wish that Holocaust deniers and those who have perpetrated other genocides (Rwanda, Cambodia, Serbia, etc.) could be forced to read these accounts, visit the sites, and talk to survivors. I'm notr sure it would do any good, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

While it is mind-boggling, I thank you for having the fortitude to read and review this heart-rending book.

3. SpearheadMP

SpearheadMP Member

If you can find a copy of "The Black Book of Poland" buy it, read it. A very detailed account of atrocities published by the Polish gov't-in-exile in 1943.

4. todorbb

todorbb Member

5. indianajdp

indianajdp Member

I read Laurence Rees' book, Auschwitz: A New History about two years ago, which was a very thorough (and deeply disturbing) account of the intricacies of the Camp. Have you read that one, and how does it compare to Baxter's?

6. Heinrich

Heinrich Member

If you have some time , read this ..
    Witold Pilecki's Auschwitz Report: WITOLD'S REPORT

Gives you a very good impression what life in auschwitz was like ..
    Stunning report by Witold Pilecki ,worlds only volunteer for Auswitsch .
    Its complete , and its free ..

7. Richard

Richard Expert

I too have read Auschwitz : The Nazis & The 'Final Solution' written by Laurence Rees who also did the BBC six part series based on his book.

Also read...

Commandant Of Auschwitz
    Rudolf Hoess

8. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

I worked when I was 9yrs old helping an Jewish Woman do deliveries, She rolled her sleeves one day and I noticed the Tattooed numbers on her arm, and asked her about it. Her faced dropped and she teared with time she explained to me as a child she was in Auschwitz. We talked about it many times in which mesmerizing Horror filled her expressions as we spoke. She explained that humanity sometimes goes astray and individuals tend to carry out shameful display of ignorance and acts toward others.Only when I was 15 and we did a school project on the Holocaust did I real start to understand what she was trying to make me understand years prior.

It's Sheer Ignorance that many today deny these events in history ever happened. And a Mistake that is still happening today, Genocide.

There's nothing enjoyable about these links I posted, be warned Turns my stomach in utter disgust and anger.

Auschwitz - Remembering Hell#

YouTube - The Auschwitz Album- Visual Evidence of Mass Murder at Auschwitz-Birkenau

YouTube - AUSCHWITZ: THE FINAL SOLUTION BBC clip 1/5

David Cole - The Truth Behind The Gates Of Auschwitz 1 of 2