Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Aussie's invade Austin Texas!! :D

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by von_noobie, May 18, 2013.

1. von_noobie

von_noobie Member

Gday people, Happy to be posting that this weekend the Aussie V8 Supercar's are in America. Curious as to what our American friends on here think of the race and if any are actually going to watch it or go ti it.

Kendusimmus likes this.
  2. von_noobie

von_noobie Member

What.. No V8 Supercar fans here? Dont tell me we all like car's that cant handle going round and round in a circle =[ (jokes :p)

3. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

I watch Australian V 8 Supercars all the time, in HD TV. Very competitive racing and I like the size of the cars, they look solid , compact, fast. . Thought a US Southerner, where NASCAR was born , I simply do not watch racing on any form of a round tract, be in a oval, tri-oval, four cornered, etc. It obviously is hugely popular but I personally find it monotonous and racing by chance.. I know they introduce ways of bunching the cars up , multiple yellow flags, rain drops , birds flying over seem to be excuses.
    The Supercar series is rather keen racing to my eye.

I also watch WRC, F 1, any Le Mans derivative, European Touring car event and Moto GP, just finished watching the French GP this morning. Less people think I sit around watching car races, beer in hand, eating chicken wings, I actually multi-task ! I draw at my drawing board and watch racing simultaneously !!!! Keeps the old noodle pliable ...lol

von_noobie likes this.
  4. von_noobie

von_noobie Member

Have to say the V8's at Austin Texas have been a big success, Just shy of 69,000 people attending a first time event that clashed with a number of other things going on is something to be proud of. Next year should be bigger again if they can get down a good date.

Would be interesting to see what other tracks they would look at in the US as they are apparently looking for another 1 or 2 tracks in the US and even 1 down in Mexico to make the cost of transporting everything over there more economical.

Any one have any thoughts on what race tracks would be a possible choice in NA?

5. gtblackwell

Lots of suitable tracts here, undulating road courses at Laguna Seca, California, Barbour MotorSports, Alabama, Gainesville (Atlanta, Georgia) Limerock, Connecticut, . many others. Grand-Am, Le Mans ALMS ( soon to merge, GT , all run on such courses now. Given the expense of transportation, tract cost, it makes sense to utilize the tracts more.

Mexico and Canada certainly make sense as well. I did get to watch the Texas race, great fun .

6. gtblackwell

7. von_noobie

von_noobie Member

Would probably be a little more expensive to get out there though with more races as they would likely have to bring over the big rigs to take them from track to track, Unless the various local and state police forces are willing to look the other way as Aussie's and Kiwi's take there V8 supercars for a drive from state to state :)

Im sure though we could fit a good portion into one truck though seeing as some of our road trains carry up to 200 ton in cargo (biggest in the world)