Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Australian paratroops

Discussion in 'Air War in the Pacific' started by wtid45, May 10, 2008.

1. anglomanii

anglomanii recruit

i think i remember my grandfather telling me something about this, he was a signalman and a rat, that ended up in Borneo, he also told me about some gurkas that offered to jump without chutes there. i remember him saying the para's took it very personally and thought the Americans had denied them the planes for some spiteful reason.

2. ozjohn39

ozjohn39 Member

"Originally Posted by wtid45 [​IMG]
    OZ try this. Nadzab drop in new guinea by american paratroops and 2/4 field regiment on september 17 1944 also a quote from Eagles Alighting by J.B Lofty Dunn Ahistory of 1 Australian parachute battalion published by their association in 1999 isbn 0 646 37323 4 kind regards Jason"

I know my memory is failing, and this one is well over 25 years ago, but I am near to certain that my conversation that included the Nadzab parachutist, at a 'Rats of Tobruk' function at the Frankston RSL club included a man called DUNN! The nickname 'Lofty" rings the same bell.

I doubt any are still alive now.

oz

wtid45 likes this.
  3. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Thanks OZ:)that ties in with what ive been saying ref the book

4. wtid45

wtid45 Ace

Just an add on that I found in Gerard Devlin's book 'Paratrooper' . "Two 25 pounders and thirty one Australian artillerymen were to be droppped into Nadzab airfield one hour after the American drop.The Artillerymen had never seen Parachutes or that type of weapon before.It was Kinsler's(Kenneth Kinsler LT. COL C.O 503RD) misson, therefore to hurriedly prepare the crews in the use of thier guns and parachuting.Training of the specially selected Australian volunteers was conducted by the 503rd's Lieutenant Robert Armstrong"

5. Cobber

Cobber Member

I have often heard of the situation in Borneo and the many people who claim that this Btn could/would of freed the prisoners who were soon to be marched to death.
    Lets look at it, The Australian Parachute Btn consisted in 1944 of four (4) companies, who had to be dropped by air into Japanese held Borneo, now with one Btn parachuting into enemy territory would create a situation where the Japanese probably would of spent every minute hunting for them. Even if they landed unseen they could not trust all villagers etc.
    Basically a single Para Battalion would of been eventually destroyed by the IJA and IJN troops. The Japs would of hunted them and even if the Aussies managed to free the POW's they would of had twice the numbers but with one half sick, ill and so on after years in Japanese captivity. They then after freeing them and being pursed by large Japanese forces would of had to give basic medical treatment and then get them to a RV with a ship or ships large enough to take all men off and hold back IJN ships subs etc.

For it to have worked IMNO they would of needed many more Para's as well as Commandos being inserted by ships and boats to support the operation.

So I feel the GHQ stopped it as they knew the chances of a para surviving a drop is low but hundreds if not thousands of miles behind enemy lines and the thick jungle of Borneo, They would of been wasted and few if any would of been lived