Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Austria declares war first

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Eastern Front & Balka' started by Totenkopf, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

Austria wants to be annexed, Germany says "we will annex you if you declare war for us as a diversion to destroy the allie's armies"

It goes like this:

Some German men and officers secretly move to Austria (who would know; they're both German speakers) to train an Austrian force of 150,000 to fight and divert the Allies from Germany's actions. Many allied soldeirs could be taken down and surrounded fairly easy by Blitzkreig tactics from the Germans.
    I think it could play a massive change in the Endgame of WW2 's European battleground.

How would you people think that it may change it? For the better? for worse?

~Totenkopf

Im tired right now so I may go into more detail later. But try to bear with me and stem your own ideas.

2. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

A little confused, why would the Austrians, risk being invaded, and occupied, just to be occupied, while there army shattered by the Allies and where would they invade? Swiss? Doubt it, mountain alps and France on the other side for reinforcements just seems to such a horrible risk. Yugoslavia? Maybe, but still far fetched. Czechoslovakia, well if your gonna Annex Austria, why wouldn't you use politics like what Hitler really did.

I don't think this "what if" can go anywere, as its stuck in the Austrian mountains and even if you destroyed your enemies army (maybe in the skies, and on the clouds!!!), it doesn't make a ton of sense, but I wont flame you because you did say you were tired and would go into detail about it

3. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

What timeframe are you looking at? The Anschluss didn't happen until 1938. The German Invasion of Poland and the start of the war didn't happen until 1939. So there were no "Allies" at that time. So what "Allies" are you speaking of?And I do have to agree that your scenario seems very confusing and not very realistic at all.

4. PactOfSteel

PactOfSteel Dishonorably Discharged

Most people in Austria wanted to become part of the Reich. It was part of restoring Europe to Germania.

5. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Nope. You're right and you're wrong.

One of Hitler's main points was the idea of the Volk...the People. He wanted all 'Germans' to be united under one banner, not spread about in several countries. Hitler, being Austrian himself, believed Austrians to be Germanic, thus part of his reasoning.

6. PactOfSteel

7. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

I agree with these guys, this is definitly a confusing thread ")

So if Austria trains up an army and declares war on Germany or the 'allies'?

Why would Austria want to decllare war on anyone because as Hawk said there us no where they can invade from within there country and it would be stuip of them to attack Germany, they coyuld just get themselves annexed which is what happened anyway. Now how could the 'austrian army' divert the 'allies' attention are they gonna use a big banner that says 'look at me' 'look at me' or something like that (just kidding):)

The only thing I can think of is maybe invading the Italians and attacking france through marseilles in the south of france but that would just be like shooting yourself in the foot, why attack an ally with just 150,000 then invade another country with the same force, it isn't enough men to occupy italy as well as attack france, although it would divert the french attention south, but if that is the case then the germans would smash through the ardennes (which is what happened) attack around the flank of the maginot line, take france and end the war with the month, nothing had changed, except that austria has an army which has taken losses from the fighting and instead of the italians in north africa it'll be austrians and I don't think the french would worry to much about an austrian army lol.

Now if the austrians did attack switzerland and somehow managed to win and take of the country, it would open another door into france but I think the results would be the same in the end.

8. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

The Swiss had a powerful army for the time no?(including the Natural defence too)

9. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

Oh sorry, Austria wouldnt attack Germany, but move into the west to divert attention of nearby countries as they would say "Hai Dude wtf; dats mah land"

After a week or two of fighting and disrupting other countries Austria would be Annexed and the Germans would take over.

Sorry if this is confusing as well, as I am still very tired. (Six dam hours of sleeping time!)

10. von Rundstedt

von Rundstedt Dishonorably Discharged

The only country Austria could invade at that point in time would be Leichtenstein, yes i can see WW2 breaking out over that, but seriously, no Austria would be smashed by Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Italy or Switzerland, they are the only countries that borders Austria, the only other nation was Germany and i seriously doubt that Austria would with her six divisions attempt to invade Germany. No Leichtenstein is the only viable easy target for Austria.

11. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

I have to agree with this

12. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Sorry. Still not seeing the logic. Germany started the war by invading Poland.

13. Tomcat

Actually I think I am getting an idea (scary thought:D)

Ok if Austria had invaded switzerland before she was annexed by germany even before the invasion of poland which means that no countries would be at war yet also meaning that there were next to no german forces on the border of france and germany. Now if austria didn't want to be annexed (for example) all they would have to do is start a war with someone else such as switzerland which france would probably back up sending reinforcements into munich and counter attacking austria and obviusly overwhelming the austiran forces thus taking austria. Although germany would probably ally themselves with austria and send there own reinforcements to counter the french thus starting ww2 not in france but austria, the outcome could have been different such as germany falling to france even before the planned polish invasion eliminating ww2 all together (except for the asian war).

But what would be the point of austria declaring war on another county they 'wanted' to be annexed by germeny so why would they risk this unification?

14. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Makes my Brain hurt LOL.:confused:

15. PactOfSteel

this is pointless, Austria wouldn't have done this without being part of the Third Reich.

16. Tomcat

I know that:) but I just throwing ideas out there to try to find out exactly what is going on in this thread lol:)

17. PactOfSteel

18. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

I'm not sure if I completely understand this topic lol

19. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

It takes much beyond thinking, this is a what -if so everyone should formulate their own possible outcomes from the topic post and my other one to find possible differential outcome of WW2- or possibly just a central European war.

Tomcat is getting the idea I see.;)

20. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

There isn't a idea really, much like saying "What if Liberia, invaded its neighboring French controlled territory"

You can see the more familiar faces of the forum has seemed to skip this thread.

Sorry, but your idea is just to bogus and not possible to even think of resulting of any success.