Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Automatic rifles vs bulletproof vest

Discussion in 'The Guns Galore Section' started by Blaster, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    We all know that, even though the AK47 round has less velocity than the M16 round, it has more stopping power because it's larger. But against a bulletproof vest, which one would penetrate more? It's high velocity (M16 round) against mass (AK47 round).

2. Siberian Black

Siberian Black New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Higher velocity in theory has more penetration power.

Although given enough space between the shooter and the target even skin can stop a bullet (wouldn't want to try that one though)

'bullet-proof' vests are more or less just that.....but more often than not aren't 'knife-proof' (at least police ones aren't)

3. smeghead phpbb3

smeghead phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Bulletproof vests, like the ones you see coppers wearing, can only stop penetration by 9mm rounds... They will NOT stop a rifle round 5.56mm or otherwise; it will punch straight through. The only personal body armor capable of stopping a rifle round is advanced and expensive steel plated armor... Such armor is very heavy, and even then, not entirely effective, i think that, like a helmet, it protects more against "grazing" shots, and is not designed to make the user able withstand an unlimited barrage of bullets...

If you're talking about plated body armor it depends what round is being used... Off the top of my head, modern NATO 5.56x45mm rounds have better penetration than vintage Soviet 7.62x39mm ammo... However the difference in technology is about 40 years and most of the people using the old AK-47 don't store the ammunition properly... Perhaps a more modern 7.62 calibre round in a newer gun like the Ak-103 would achieve better results? I really don't know much in the way of 7.62x39mm ammunition development...

Also maybe the range at which you are shooting the plated vest would be a factor... IIRC the 7.62x39mm, being heavier, loses velocity at a lesser rate than lighter calibres and maintains a steady velocity... The 5.56 however, loses velocity at longer ranges, decreasing the penetration...

P.S. On a side note, can anyone tell me the effectiveness of sandbags against both types of ammunition? Which achieves superior penetration?

4. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    What is an AK-103?I've never heard of it.Got any pics?

5. sinissa

sinissa New Member

via TanksinWW2
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot16.htm
    Simple armor (level III) cant stop any rifle rounds,as u can see.
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot24.htm
    Here u can se more powerful weapon against 2 armors with steel plates,but there is no any 7.62x39mm ,but that was from preety close range ,i doublt that any standard rifle ammo can penetrate it (plates) from longer range,and it is not likely that he will hit with 90 degree.Truth is that 7.62x39 has lower velocity and speed,and less flat trajectory,and that ammo is probably bit outdated.Main problem of 5.56x45 is construction on limit of stability(made 2 do pinball in human body) so if he hit in any obstacle in the was,he may deflect.(forest,etc)

6. sinissa

sinissa New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Just type it on google.Russians rapidly modernise they assautl rifle (AK) so it has plenty wersion now.I personaly sow AK-101,it got some really nice improwmans (like 3 fire mode-full auto,burst,and semi-auto)

7. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Kelvar is more fragile than I thought.

PS Is there a such thing as carbon nanofibers?

8. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    kelvar?

Kelvar? do you mean 'Kevlar'?. If so, one of my sons works in the hosiery industry and makes 'Kevlar' gloves and vests for the military.
    Wouldn't want to try them against bullets but you certainly can't burn the stuff or push a knife through it, it is like a black knitting yarn that comes on cones and is knitted on industrial machines, same method as your Mum uses to knit your school bonnet Blaster. :roll:

9. Jens Knudsen

Jens Knudsen New Member

via TanksinWW2
  10. Siberian Black

via TanksinWW2
    Kevlar is a cloth- which is why they are able to use it in tires.

11. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Can it be made into bulletproof vests 17 times stronger than Kevlar vests?

12. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    vests are for stopping pistole ammo and mabey shotgun pellets ..alas rifle ammo give bulletproofvests no respect at all...at least, at normal combat ranges

13. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    kevlar

Kevlar is not a cloth, it is a thread that is machine Knitted into garments and fabrics, just like knitting wool, plays havoc with knitting elements in machines, especially in the case of a smash, but finished goods are brilliant.
    (I do know a little about the Knitting industry, worked in it from 48 until 92.) :roll:

14. Jens Knudsen

Jens Knudsen New Member

via TanksinWW2
  15. Siberian Black

via TanksinWW2
    Read an article about nanotechnology last night, very interesting. Apparently there's a self-cleaning toilet........

Boeing is looking into carbon nanotubes (will confirm) as a new material for use in airframes and there was a bunch of other really neat sounding stuff in there too. Gotta go grab it.....

16. Greg Pitts

Greg Pitts New Member

via TanksinWW2
    If you want to go through a "bullet proof vest" like a hot knife though butter, use a 70 lb hunting bow with hunting arrow tip arrows. The arrrow will have more penetrating power than a 30.06.

Or, simply take the head shot with a rifle.

Greg

:smok:

17. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    True for flexible body armor. Level III or level IV hard body armor will stop most rifle rounds even armor piercing. It's hot and heavy though.(and pricey).

See hard armor plates here struck by 7.62mm x 39...5.56mm x 45,
    30-06 AP etc.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/PHOTO pages/Rifle_Plates_Testing_PHOTOS.shtml

18. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I don't think the AK47 or M16 round left much of a dent on that Level III armour. Is it sufficient protection for combat and reasonably flexible?