Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Axis tank losses due to allied aircraft?

Discussion in 'Aircraft' started by ww24interest, Jan 20, 2016.

1. ww24interest

ww24interest Member

I thought about how US allied fighters like the p-47 could tackle medium and heavy panthers and tigers with guns only since bombs and rockets were not so accurate at all on such a small target. I then thought about the tanks top armor and deck armor and realized The .50 would go right through the thin top decks of those medium and heavy tanks hatches or not with ease. So do you think this contributed to tank losses or was it something else, such as breakdowns, fuel, 76mm sherman, bazookas etc.

2. Pacifist

Pacifist Active Member

3. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

The end of page 9 onwards of this Copp essay is worth a read on this score:

Operation Research and 21AG:
    http://scholars.wlu.ca/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1015&context=cmh

There are other statistical analyses (I used to have a copy of WO 291/2357 which I think has all the small percentage chance of rocket hits distilled into a minute chance of kills, but now can't find it). However, between the above and Mr Moran in Pacifist's film you can make a reasonable assessment.
    Namely; looking specifically at Normandy and onwards into the west, the Panzers were actually killed by Artillery, Infantry, other tanks &... importantly... mechanical failure.

The air forces denied movement, caused paralysis and supply issues, even sometimes wreaked havoc to those crucial factors, and certainly often destroyed German morale if several memoirs are to be believed (Jabo!!) but did not execute armoured machines in the way often cited.

4. ww24interest

ww24interest Member

cool video, no i did';t see it thx for the links