Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

B-29 Nose Art

Discussion in 'Aircraft' started by USMCPrice, Mar 31, 2014.

1. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

My wife just got a box of pictures from a relative of one of her dad's brothers. Both she and I were unaware he had served in the US Army in the Pacific. We were aware that her dad and another brother had served with the 6th Cavalry in Europe. Both men had been pre-war "horse soldiers" and were stationed at Ft. Oglethorpe. The Sixth was mechanized and sent to Europe and became part of Patton's Third Army.

From Wikipedia:

World War II

The 6th Cavalry, which became part of George S. Patton's Third Army during World War II, had one of the most outstanding combat records to come out of that conflict, starting in October 1943 where it embarked on the Queen Elizabeth bound for northern Ireland.

In January 1944, the 6th Cavalry Regiment was disbanded and reorganized into the 6th Cavalry Group and assigned to XV Corps. The unit spent the first part of 1944 in intense basic, small unit, and special combat training. Finally in July 1944, the unit set sail across the English Channel to land at Utah Beach (Sainte-Mère-Église, France). Throughout the latter part of World War II, the Sixth was part of most of the major campaigns, some of which included "Task Force Polk," the engagement in the Ardennes, and the Battle of the Bulge. It was also responsible for the screening and protection of the corps in the Bastogne area, defending the Our River, breaching the Siegfried Line, and the big job of crossing the Rhine River and the drive to the east.

Toward the end of hostilities, the Sixth was left with the detail of mopping up enemy stragglers to its final battle with the capture of Adorf & Markneukirchen. The Sixth Cavalry was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation (Army), for its valor during World War II.

As "Patton's Household Cavalry", the regiment was tasked with observing the advances of the Third Army's troops, reporting its observations directly back to Third Army headquarters, improving General Patton's situational awareness – very much like the British GHQ Liaison Regiment did.

Now I have little information on the third brother, other than the newly discovered box of pictures. There are pictures of him with B-29's, of an airfield with B-29's that I assume is Tinian, newspaper and magazine clippings on the Saipan and Tinian invasions, a number of pictures of captured Japanese, a couple that appear to be personal pictures taken off of Japanese. Several pictures marked "censored, do not mail", some miscellaneous pictures of men in uniform, at anti-aircraft weapons, and the quite a few of the topic of this post, B-29 Nose Art. I had read here that Pacific Nose art was more "risqué" than European nose art. Apparently that's true. If anyone is interested, I'll scan and post them, or some of them. While not comparable to what we see today, I'm not totally sure what is acceptable. Nippleadge? There are a few of those. Japanese caricatures? One or two that might be offensive. Please some moderator advice.

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

A good question. Post the ones you find least offensive. You can send me some of the others in a PM, and I'll give you my opinion. You could send them to all mods for opinions as well. Thanks for bringing this up.

3. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I'd say we're all adults here and I doubt there are any that would actually take on an XXX rating. Probably wouldn't even get a PG-14 with what is available in the theaters now a days anyway.
    This is a WW2 web site dedicated to preserving the History of the era and as far as I'm concerned ; no need to hide it for fear of offending anyone.

4. LRusso216

Who are you calling an adult? I refuse to grow up.

5. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

na-na-na-nana - we may mature but we don't have to be mature. so there! Bob, post those dirty pictures!

Lou said it was okay sense Belazar is minding the store right now.

6. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Post them. I see no issue with posting paintings from the era.

7. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

USMCPrice,

Just for comparison, you may want to peruse the large quantity of B-24 photos here: http://www.b24bestweb.com/
    They range from mild to nudes to what would now be politically incorrect.

Since Slip has given his seal of approval, I'm interested in seeing them.

Can't be any more 'racy' than this one, can they? :eyebrows:

Attached Files:

8. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Yes, but not by a lot.

I was showing the pictures to my older son today and we noticed that those of Japanese soldiers and an airman had Japanese writing on the back so they are as I suspected, "a couple that appear to be personal pictures taken off of Japanese".

My son also noticed a postcard that I hadn't paid attention to that had his military address, and some Japanese civilian photos that had "Saipan" written on the back.

He's scanning them so I'll post as he sends them to me.

9. LRusso216

Sounds good to me. Can't wait to see them.

10. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Ditto on what Lou said.