Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

B17 43-37608 Chute The Works

Discussion in 'Air War in Western Europe 1939 - 1945' started by Biak, May 5, 2021.

1. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I'm trying to find pictures and info on this B17. A friends father flew as tail gunner on it in the summer of 1944. It crashed shortly after he was relieved from duty and returned home.
    I have found three "Chute the Works " including a B24 but very little on this particular plane. The American air museum has a good article but that's about it. Any help would be appreciated !

43-37608 | American Air Museum in Britain

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Biak, Half Track and Martin Bull like this.
  3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Biak likes this.
  4. Biak

Thanks guys! I've dug through the AFHRA but No Joy.

CAC, can you verify the AC# number on the photo with A-65603A in the corner? I'll show the picture to one of his daughters tomorrow because the guy on the left bares a striking resemblance to a picture I have of her Dad. If he IS in that picture I'll send you a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon ! Or something' :D

I guess I should have explained more (I'm one fingering the keyboard on the tablet) the B17 that is a crumbled mess that crashed is the only picture we can find of the one my friends Dad flew in.
    I've found three Chute The Works, one was a B24 with the 447BG, and one "might" be the replacement B17 for 43-37608 ? They have a picture a researcher sent along with his mission assignments and dates but the picture is actually misidentified and is 43-4066.
    He was an original crew member - tail gunner. Flew over in (March/May 1944 ?) He completed his 25 missions, was relieved of flight duties, and before he left for home heard his plane had crashed.

Oh oh finger cramp

5. Biak

Well I did find it's not easy posting after driving 11 hours back to the homestead. Two weeks in Ill-Annoy and several rounds of golf takes a lot out of an old man.
    I pulled up the link to the picture CAC posted and that's the third Chute The Works !! So can't be him standing there. The search continues.

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Have you looked at this website? I'm sure you've already seen it, but I found it informative.
    "Chute The Works'

Biak likes this.
  7. Biak

Yep but thanks for looking.
    I know it's a long shot trying to find a picture but maybe a family member will stumble across the post looking for the 337th sqd of the 96BG and have that "one and only" shot.