Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bastogne, The 2nd Battle of Marvie - An Interview with PFC Jack Sherman

Discussion in 'Honor, Service and Valor' started by Ilhawk, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Ilhawk

Ilhawk New Member

First, on the video is Kevin and Jack briefly discussing Captain Evans wounding during the first battle. Jack being a gentleman was reluctant to say that Capt Evans was hit by not so friendly friendly fire during a desperate situation. Then we discuss the 2nd Battle.

On Dec 23/24, the Germans tried to break through into Bastogne via Mavie on the SE perimeter. The Panzer Lehr tried to smash the 327 2nd BN along with element of the 10th Armored (Team O'Hara) and the 326 Combat Engineers. This was a determined attack with many tanks across a broad front. On the west was the Arlon Road and Kessler Farm (ultimatum location). Co F 327 defended the Arlon Road along with a hand full of tanks. F was spread east to a wooded area near the Salweit Farm. From there east was Co G on Hill 500 and the south 1/2 of Marvie. Co E held the north half of Marvie. The 10th Armor held the Wiltz Road on the farm east.

Map: https://www.facebook.com/109600119062869/photos/pb.109600119062869.-2207520000.1446765141./1004330232923182/?type=3&theater

Purple line = pre-battle lines.

Black shows how far back the 327 lines were pushed. This is not to be confused with the 81 AA lines.

Orange, post battle lines.

Hill 500 is the purple circle. This was over run.

Note, at the top of the page the Germans got 4-5 tanks behind enemy lines and into the outskirts of Bastogne.

Basically the Germans smashed F and G. Note G's new line north of Marvie running north and south.

The German commander never received word his men had broken the 327. His mobile command center was hit by a shell killing all but him. He was ordered to withdraw before knowing the success. The 327 inflicted heavy casualties on the enemy. Lt. Tom Niland kept the German tanks from moving directly through Marvie by heroic actions from his S2 squad. He earned a Silver Star.

The Germans on Christmas moved west and attacked the 327 1/3 BNs and 502.

Here is Jack's interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PayJK1gDWyo

pistol likes this.
  2. Natman

Natman Member

Another good interview with a great map.

I tried to find which unit the TD at Marvie may have belonged to but had no luck. Co. C of the 609th was with the 10th but their files make no mention of Marvie and the 705th was in the area with the 101st but we don't have much info on day to day activities for them. Both units were using the M-18 (76mm) TD at this time.

3. Ilhawk

Ilhawk New Member

Jack and Don, who both know/knew tanks and weapons quite well (Jack was a Co Runner and Don was the Co expert said it was a new 90mm high velocity. I learned to not argue with them about certain things. I would assume it was Team O'Hara, but things were pretty messy. He said another time it scared the hell out of him as he really didn't know it was there.

On the below map, the yellow arrow shows the TD shot toward the bottom of the page. That one hit a half track. Jack, who says it the way it was...said there were krauts flying all over the place with that hit. He said it was like a gunslinger (not on the recorded interview). Several tanks/bazookas hit the SPG from the yellow arrow going to the middle of the page at near the same time. That SPG shot at a light tank near the church and the miss hit a house with a family in it killed a 5 yo girl and her dad. I have their pictures. The 327 reports mention the TD and tanks but no mention of exactly who. The light tanks didn't want to engage the Germans and were trying to conserve their elements.

I would need to look it up but wasn't a part of the 705 briefly attached to the 327 near Carentan (Montmarten en Granges)? Very temporarily. Jack and Don were sure it was a new one and were quite specific about 90mm. Any other guys and I'd doubt it. I am not a weapons expert. I got into this as a favor to Don. I am a certified history teacher, but writing book was not my intention.

rkline56 likes this.
  4. Natman

Natman Member

Searched more this aft. Did find that the 705th had the long barreled 76mm guns, not sure about the 609th. First platoon, Company C, of the 609th was astride the Arlon Road with Co F/327th, several light tanks and Team O'Hara the night of the 23rd (609th AAR Dec, 44 and The Ardennes: Battle of the Bulge green book).

5. Ilhawk

Ilhawk New Member

Natman, thx this is very interesting. I found no mention of TDs in Marvie during the 2nd fight (location during the first battle). The armor to my knowledge was on Arlon Road and Wiltz Road. During the first fight, the armor hit the German tanks and SPs coming up the valley and the road directly from the east. They had an amazing view of unsuspecting armor except is was heavily fogged. The Germans waited until the fog cleared some (1st fight). The armor still occupied the Wiltz Road during the 2nd battle.

Colonel Harper when learning of Tom Niland's desperate situation in Marvie lied and said there were command orders to move into Marvie. 2 tanks did move into the village, but the 10th was reluctant as they had their hands full.

6. Natman

Natman Member

Went back thru the referenced docs/book again and realized I was wrong on the date from the 609th AAR, they were on the Arlon Road the night of the 21st, not the 23rd. But, in the Ardennes book, it says they were there the night of the 23rd? I've attached extracts from both sources. The pages from the book cover action on the 23rd.

View attachment 23166

View attachment 23167

Attached Files:

7. Ilhawk

Ilhawk New Member

Thx Natman.

Several observations,

The 3 tanks were destroyed by (1) 326 Engineers and 2 buy Tom Niland's S2 squad. The hill was Hill 500 and yes Co G was obliterated, though several did make it out and several became POWs. Co G was actually attached to F and held the bridge on Arlon Road.

Funny the comment about Gen McAuliff ordering tanks. Col Harper 327 lied and said the Gen had ordered them. The US half/track vehicle pulling a gun that was hit by a "lucky" shot was actually hit by 327 men or 326 engineers. This accident actually did block tanks.

8. Ilhawk

Ilhawk New Member

In honor of the 327 2nd BN guys who fought 71 years ago tonight (facebook needed). If anyone wants more info on what transpired, just ask....or read the book :dance3:

On this date in 1944, the 2nd Battle of Marvie began at dusk. This fight perhaps was the most pivotal in and around Bastogne during the siege. The greatly outnumbered 327, the 326 Engineers, and Team O'Hara of the 10th Armored Division engaged overwhelming enemy armored forces determined to capture Bastogne. Unless you've read Glider Infantryman, you likely have never heard of this battle.
    Team O'Hara (Wiltz Road) and 327 Co C (north 1/2 of Marvie) doggedly held on to their positions, though they were pushed back.

327 Co F and Team O'Hara was pushed back by 12 tanks up to 1000 yards, but held.
    Co G without tank support was smashed by enemy armor. Hill 500 (south of Marvie) was completely over run.
    The enemy placed 5 tanks behind Marvie on the outskirts of Bastogne. German forces moved around Marvie to the west.
    1st Lt. Tom Niland and his S2 squad blocked enemy tanks from movie directly through Marvie, which confused German forces and kept them from using the main road through Marvie for tanks.
    German forces never realized their success and broke off the engagement near dawn on the 24th.
    The cover photo for this site depicts this battle.
    https://www.facebook.com/327-Glider-Infantry-Screaming-Eagle-109600119062869/?ref=tn_tnmn

First is an artist rendition of the fight
    2nd is Niland's S2 squad
    3 is Tom Niland (yes the cousin of Fritz and uncle/mentor and AD of John Beilein.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pistol likes this.