Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Battery B 227th AAA S/L BN

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Son of Eino O.Werronen, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Son of Eino O.Werronen

Son of Eino O.Werronen recruit

Hello Forum Members,
    I'm here also to fill in the gaps. My father was a great man, and was a loving father. He just passed a month ago, so much to his life works. In his last battle, we sadly lost him to Parkinson's disease. After his death, we learned more about his decorated military service. We never did hear him talk at length about his service. Eino O. Werronen T5 served as a radar operator in the Pacific Theater. He was a Technician Fifth Grade; Battery B 227th Anti Aircraft Artillery; Searchlight Battalion. He served in the Bismarck Archipelago; New Guinea, & Luzon-Philippine Liberation. He has active from August 29, 1942 to Jan 3, 1946.
    We have a book list of his old Army buddies & friends. Assorted photos to post here too. Maybe they have family members here too?
    I would like to find out more about the action he was in ... thanks for any help. View attachment 11216

View attachment 11217

View attachment 11218

View attachment 11219
    Cheers,
    Christopher A. Werronen
    Painesville, Ohio

Attached Files:

2. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

Welcome to WWII Forums.

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Welcome to this fine place and thank you for sharing these fine pics with us. Feel feel to ask us for more info in the information request section, i'm sure some will be able to help

4. Karma

Karma Member

Welcome to the forums Christopher, looking forward to your contributions.

5. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Welcome and good luck. Here is a good one to get you started. There are a lot of folks here who I'm sure will be able to add more specific links.

U.S. Army Center Of Military History

6. CaptSouth

CaptSouth recruit

My father was in the 227th AAA S/L BN but not sure what Battery, his name was John Stanko Jr. he passed away in March of 2001. I also have his pictures from N.G. and Luzon, Leyte Philippines with many names on the backsides of them. I heard many tales from the war over the years. I see your post is over a year old I hope you are still checking it from time to time, I'm wondering if my Dad was in your book.

Bruce Stanko
    Elmira, NY

7. Natman

Natman Member

Bruce,
    The original post was the only one Christopher made. But, with his name/home town in the note, maybe try looking up his phone number? Also, the following may work for you, although as a new member you don't have access to everything on the site and I'm not up to speed whether you can do this: If you click on his forum "name" then click on "view profile" it will take you to a member list page. You'll notice a note sent from "ami98". Click on that name and you'll see a link that will allow you to sent "ami98" an email. The "ami98" note is from the end of July so they may still be checking the site?

Hope you're not thoroughly confused-good luck.

8. Spitfire_XIV

Spitfire_XIV Member

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

9. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

Wow! I am quite excited to see your post of a "Skylighter" (searchlight operator) who went to the Pacific Theater of the war....there is much recorded about Skylighters that served in the European Theater and there is a website of the 225th that shows quite well what kind of training they got for this type of service. My dad was a Skylighter(246th Coast Artillery) as well but there has been little to look up of activities in the Phillipines where he served. I hope you enjoy looking at what you find on this great website...my dad was eventually transferred into the 545th Field Artillery(the unit that went to the Pacific). I don't know what may have happened with the 227th. Skylighters, The Web Site of the 225th AAA Searchlight Battalion: Coast Artillery and AA Artillery -- An Overview

10. craftylady313

craftylady313 New Member

In response to CaptSouth. His dad was in A Battery of 227th. His name is on the roster listed in "On Target" an informal account of the Moonlight-Cavalry. It's a small newsletter type journal written by one of the guys in the unit. I have a copy because my dad was also in A battery of the 227th. His name Was Francis Dayhoff ,or Fritz, as the guys called him. He passed away in March 2007. He was in communications. I hope this helps.

Connie Leatherman

Wellsboro, Pa.

11. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

12. craftylady313

craftylady313 New Member

The 227th was split up when they reached Australia. Hdq. and A battery went to Hollandia and then Biak to secure the airstrips there, Nimitz was to use them as a stop off point on his way to the Marianas. B and C batteries were split up as well and joined other units, all engaged in the island hopping of the south pacific.

13. Lynn Doxon

Lynn Doxon New Member