Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Battle of Britain : losses on both sides

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Justin Smith, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Justin Smith

Justin Smith Member

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Also note this is not a thread about the Battle Of Britain in its entirety (I`m sure there will be thread about that on here already), it`s specifically about the loss statistics.
    I`m reading Roy Jenkins biography of Winston Churchill at the moment and he stated the battle was more or less a draw but that served Britain`s purpose far more then Germany`s. In order to check on this I started looking up the loss statistics but very soon realised they didn`t appear to be consistent or complete. Does anyone know the total losses for aircraft (fighters and bombers), and aircrew (fighter pilots and other air crew) for the RAF and the Luftwaffe from July to October 1940 ?

2. lwd

lwd Ace

I've seen it discussed in some detail if not here over on the axis history forum. From what I recall the British were loosing more planes and the LW more aircrew but British replacement rates for both planes and pilots were greater.

This page indicates that LW aircraft losses were greater though:
    7 staggering numbers behind the Battle of Britain
    This page has some fairly detailed monthly accounts of British losses during the battle:
    Battle of Britain statistics - History Learning Site
    This one has daily losses of planes but no info on type or crew:
    Battle of Britain - aircraft losses

Others will probably post better sources soon.