Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Battle of Jutland

Discussion in 'The War at Sea' started by Che_Guevara, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Che_Guevara

Che_Guevara New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Which side won this battle, what is your opinion to this and to which conclusion did you come ?

[​IMG]

11 Ships = 61.180 Tons

S.M.S. Pommern
    S.M.S. Frauenlob
    S.M.S. Wiesbaden
    Torpedoboot V 48
    Torpedoboot S 35
    Torpedoboot V 27
    Torpedoboot V 4
    Torpedoboot V 29

S.M.S. Lützow (scuttled)
    S.M.S. Elbing (scuttled)
    S.M.S. Rostock (scuttled)

2 551 Dead

[​IMG]

14 Ships = 115.025 Tons

H.M.S. Queen Mary
    H.M.S. Indefatigable
    H.M.S. Invicible
    H.M.S. Defence
    H.M.S. Warrior
    H.M.S. Black Prince
    H.M.S. Tipperary
    H.M.S. Nestor (scuttled)
    H.M.S. Nomad (scuttled)
    H.M.S. Turbulent
    H.M.S. Sparrowhawk
    H.M.S. Shark
    H.M.S. Fortune
    H.M.S. Ardent

6.094 Dead

Regards,
    Che.

2. GP

GP New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The answer I think you are looking for is Germany, however, as with most 'who won this battle' or 'who is the best' or 'what is the best ' arguments the answer may not be as black or white.

Germany lost less/smaller ships and less men. Yes you are correct, however, the German navy ran way and the bigger ships ran faster thant the little ships.

So who did win?

From

http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/jutland.htm

'The recently appointed commander of the German High Seas Fleet, Reinhard Scheer, had returned to the policy of making sorties against the British coast, confident that his codes were secure, and thus that the main British battle fleet, at Scapa Flow in the north of Scotland could not intervene. However, the British could read German coded messages, and were aware of Scheer's plan.

At the end of May, Scheer sortied with the entire High Seas Fleet, expected that the only serious threat he would meet was Admiral Beatty's battle cruiser squadron based on the Forth. Unfortunately for his plan, the Royal Navy knew he was coming, and the Grand Fleet sailed only minutes after the High Seas Fleet.

Both fleets sailed in a similar formation, with a scouting squadron of battle cruisers sailing ahead of the main battle fleets. The battle falls into five main phases. The first came when Admiral Beatty, commanding the British battle cruisers encountered their weaker German equivalent under Admiral Hipper, (31 May) and chased them south towards the main German fleet.

The second phase saw Beatty flee north, pursued by the German Dreadnoughts. So far, both sides thought the battle was going to plan, although a design flaw led to the destruction of two British battle cruisers. Now, in the third phase the Germans got a nasty surprise. Thinking themselves involved in a chase that would end with the destruction of the British battle cruisers, they found themselves under bombardment from Jellicoe's battle fleet, which they had thought to be too far north to intervene.

The heavy British guns quickly forced Scheer to order a retreat, but then Scheer made what could have turned into a grievous error, turning back, possibly hoping to pass behind Jellicoe, and escape into the Baltic.

However, Jellicoe had slowed down, and the German fleet found themselves crossing in front of the British fleet, and in ten minutes of gunfire suffered 27 heavy hits while only inflicted two. Once again, Scheer ordered a retreat.

Finally, in the last phase of the battle, in a night of intense fighting, the retreat of the German battleships was covered by their lighter ships, while Jellicoe lost time after turning to avoid a potential torpedo attack.

The Germans lost one battle cruiser, one pre-Dreadnought, four light cruisers and five destroyers, while the British lost three battle cruisers, four armoured cruisers, and eight destroyers. However, many of the surviving German heavy ships had suffered serious damage, and one result of the battle was to increase the British dominance in heavy ships.

Jutland was the last, and largest, of the great battleship battles. Neither submarines or aircraft played any part in the battle, despite the plans of both sides. Never again did battle fleets meet again in such numbers. While the Royal Navy suffered more loses, the battle effectively ended any threat from the High Seas Fleet, which now knew it could not contest control of the North Sea with the Royal Navy.'

tschuess

3. Che_Guevara

Che_Guevara New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I guess, it´s a symbol of the superior protection of german ships at that time.

Hmm, so I would say it´s a

Tactical victory for germany

Strategical victory for the United Kingdom

considering the results of the Battle of Jutland.

Regards,
    Che

4. Notmi

Notmi New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Maybe not protection, just safer propellanthandling and safer propellants.

I believe you are not alone with this opinion.

5. me262 phpbb3

me262 phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    after jutland , the gemans never ventured out of their ports

6. GP

GP New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I can go along with that.

7. Che_Guevara

Che_Guevara New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Nope, the Bismarck did :smok: :p ;)

Regards,
    Che.

8. me262 phpbb3

me262 phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    in WW1 there was no bismarck

9. Che_Guevara

Che_Guevara New Member

via TanksinWW2
    lôl my post should be ironical to WW2s Bismarck ;)

However you´re wrong within the point that there was no bismarck in WW1 :p

[​IMG]

Launching: 25.09.1897 in Kiel
    Occupying(Crew): approx. 594 men
    Masses: Length 125.7 ms - width 20.4 ms - draught: 7.9 ms
    Water displacement: 10700 metric tons
    Maximum speed: 19 kn
    Armament:

4 fast fire cannons 24 cms, 12 fast fire cannons 15 cms, 10 fast fire cannons 8.8 cms, torpedos
    End: In 1920 rotten

Regards,
    Che.

10. Notmi

Notmi New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Actually they did. Even more than once. But they accomplished little.

11. Quillin

Quillin New Member

via TanksinWW2
    me too

12. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I like the way Jellicoe phrased it: "The prisoner has assaulted his jailer, but remains imprisoned." I believe that's an accurate quote.

13. Che_Guevara

Che_Guevara New Member

via TanksinWW2
    And the jailer lost three fingers and a dozen hairs :p

14. PMN1

PMN1 recruit

via TanksinWW2
    There very nearly was a second major battle with the two fleets missing each other by about an hour 19th August 1916.

Scheer tried the same thing, a bombardment of coastal towns (in this case Sunderland) by Hipper's battlecruisers to draw out part of the Grand Fleet so his force could trap and destroy it. Alerted again by radio intecepts, the Grand Fleet had sailed before the scouting Zeppelins had got into position and the Grand Fleet was without Campania which had broken down (again) and the naval air stations hadn't been told to mount extra patrols so both commanders had no idea where the other was.

15. Ebar

Ebar New Member

On a space station in geosynchronous orbit above y
    via TanksinWW2
    In some respects the Germans got lucky at Jutland. By all rights they should have lost a couple of extra battlecruisers. At least one of Hippers cripples staggered through the British lines and was sighted by RN battleships, which did not fire.

I think it could be said that the British problems were as follows

Poor communication, Jellicoe was poorly served by both his superiors and subordinates. Beatty’s failure to brief the commander of the 5 BS before the battle failure to signal Jellicoe properly during it.

Poor shell design, supposed to burst after they penetrate not before. Jellicoe had pointed this out and tried to do something about it during his period at the Admiralty before the war but it was allowed to lapse after he left.

Poor initiative, Jellicoe was never great at deligation and it helped rob the Grand Fleet on initiative. There were at least a couple of times in the war where if officers had taken a better to ask forgiveness than permission the High Seas Fleet would have been spanked.

Poor cordite storage. Indefatigable and Queen Mary were sunk by hits they should have survived.

16. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    And that pretty much sums up the verdict of most historians, minus one or two frills and dressings. Such as Scheer taking along the squadron of predreadnoughts, one of which, POMMERN, was sunk with heavy loss of life.