Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Battle of Monte Cassino RESEACRH questions

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Forestfan, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I've actually got some pictures from March, 2007 (this year) from the brief time i was there. Actually being there gave me a good impression of why it was an important 'hill' to take - the view over surrounding countryside is clearly dominating - and the terrain is extremely steep (terraced around the present-day abbey). I can post the pics here if you like.

2. scarface

scarface Member

we like. :D

-whatever

-Lou

3. Forestfan

Forestfan Member

YES PLEASE post the pics by all means

so i think ive finally got 3 questions

1. How significant was the monastery of M.C startegically to the battle?

2. To what extent did the geography of M.C affect the battle? Allies advancemnts etc... maybe not such a great question?

3. Analyse the commanders/ generals at of the battle, where they generally inadequete at making crucial decisions? refer to Clark, Alexander etc

if you have any suggestions of how i could word these better, or comments on how good they are

or any hints to how i might change these questions completely

that'd be great

thanks

4. Herr Oberst

Herr Oberst Member

Thanks, I should dig up some of my own to share, although that would require setting up that scanner sitting idle on my bookshelf;)

5. Mussolini

Here are the pictures.

First one is of a little farmhouse on top of Monte Cassino. Note the view on other side:
    [​IMG]

This one is taken from in front of the Abbey.
    [​IMG]

The Polish Memorial on the 'hump' opposite the Abbey. Note steepness of terrain.
    [​IMG]

Similar shot, with me in the picture. Taken from inside the Abbey. Left side of picture has great view.
    [​IMG]

Looking out of the door of the Abbey.
    [​IMG]

The commanding view.
    [​IMG]

Terraced slope around Abbey.
    [​IMG]

scarface and Za Rodinu like this.
  6. Forestfan

Forestfan Member

THANKS MUSSOLINI

7. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Admirable, really.

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

you can really see how the Fallshirms really had a commanding view of the valley below the Abbey walls. obviously over time the understory plants have grown a wee larger

great pics Muss ans a question did you just get up to the Abbey or travle over the countryside to the main spots of "hot" action ?

E

9. scarface

scarface Member

GREAT pics, Duce!

They really show the forbididing topography, as well as the natural beauty of the area.

Thanks for sharing them.

-whatever

-Lou

10. Forestfan

Forestfan Member

2. To what extent did the terrain of M.C affect the battle? Allies advancemnts etc... maybe not such a great question?

3. Analyse the commanders/ generals at of the battle, where they generally inadequete at making crucial decisions? refer to Clark, Alexander etc

is the 3rd question well-worded

11. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

Hi Musso & Forestfan
    Thought you might like to see this map (from MultiMap) of MonteCassino and district. I used it on my visit in May 2005 and it clearly shows the winding road to the Monastery and the position of the British Cemetery.

Attached Files:

12. Mussolini

Unfortuneately, it was a school-sanctioned trip and we got very little time at anything of World War II significance. I think we had about an hour, maybe two, to explore the Abbey of Monte Cassino. I would have loved to go to the Polish Memorial and some other sites, but thats was not part of the itinerary. I do have another picture, looking down to the town below (taken from the bus as we drove back down).

13. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

were you able to view what was left of the castle down below and are you planning a nice long return trip in the future ?

14. Mussolini

We saw the castle on the way up but didnt get to explore. Monte Cassino was really just a stop on the way to Naples (I believe) on the trip. Only one of the 4 or 5 Professors on the trips is really into WWII stuff (which is why we got to stop at Anzio for an hour or so too). If it had been left up to him, it would have been a WWII Orientated trip, not a 'Italian Culture' type of thing.

Did spot some Bunker in amongst some hills on one bus ride too.

15. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

ah but will you return within the next 10 years as you become wiser and older ? personally I would love to see sosme youngin put together a present day tour of the battlefied minus the ever present skirting of the mines

16. Herr Oberst

Herr Oberst Member

I hope you didn't miss the Sherman Tank in town and that great trattoria with the man counting cash in the back table.;) Nice pics.

Good luck Forest, Hope your report goes well:)

17. Forestfan

Forestfan Member

I HAND THIS IN ON WEDnesday 10th

thanks for all your input

any final internet sites etc
    that any one knows that may be of interest to me?

18. Mussolini

Didnt get to visit the town either. Stopped at a shop just outside where they sold those special shell-necklaces, and fell in love with some Lemon-Chocolate. They leave samples of the chocolate out to taste. The GF mistakenly tasted the Spicy one because she thought it was a dark-chocolate one. :)

19. sunray

sunray Member

When looking at the first Battle of Cassino you must look at the bigger strategic picture. Originally the idea was to break the Gustav Line in four stages. First the French Goumiers were to flank Cassino whilst the British crossed the Garigliano before the US troops crossed the Rapido and finally the Anzio landings. However things did not go according to plan and the US troops failed to cross the Rapido then they were bogged down at Anzio. Although the British and French were having considerable success they were stopped by Mark Clarke and in his desperation to be first into Rome lanched a full frontal assault on Cassino which ended in disaster. If Clarke had supported either or both of the British or French, by sending the US troops to support their attacks, one or both would have broken through and been first to Rome. They may have even made Anzio unneccessary.

For more discussion on this please visit our web site below.