Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Battle of the Eagles, 1979 film

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by belasar, Aug 15, 2020.

1. belasar

belasar Court Jester

This a Bosnian 'tribute' production for the ex-pat Yugoslav pilots that flew out of England after the fall of the Balkans.....of course this movie has very little to do with that however. This is normally the point where I describe the plot, unfortunately that is hard to do here.

I could blame the brutal editing, in one place a plane crashes on landing, then in the very next scene the plane is seen ready to take off! Or I could blame the frequent German interludes...done only in German language with no subtitles. I have seen enough films on the subject to pick out the odd word and rank but as far as I know all they are saying is " if it wasn't for those pesky kids my master plan would work!"

The real issue however is this is less a coherent narrative than a series of 'heroic' vignettes strung together, usually ending with somebody dying but not before professing their love of flying, country or sweetheart. In a nutshell a small group of partisans find/steal a few outdated planes, attack the German's, move to a new hidden base and repeat. In the end the last few pilots make it to England to be hailed as hero's by the ex-pat pilots. Or at least I guess so since the Yugoslav's now have hundreds of men, dozens of planes and concrete runways.

There are a few attempts at humor that land and practical effects (explosions) are pretty decent, the special effects however, like exploding/crashing planes are not. Small arms seem period correct but vehicles/planes are way off and a little distracting. I think the actors are trying, but the poor dubbing hurts their efforts. In fact some money seems to have been spent here and in the original Bosnian it might be a decent picture, but transformed into English it is a mess.

kP2kDveJ4NDsnaiBeln6LpMfrII.jpg

2. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

I suppose it didn't happen frequently but who knows. Six planes spending all their bombs on two horsemen.