Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Bavarian" castles? Munich?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by CrazyD, Dec 30, 2002.

1. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

OK, got one to run by you gents, see if anyone has anything.
    One the presents I recieved this Xmas- some original photos taken by a great Uncle of mine who served in Europe with the US army. Now, at the moment, I'm still working on getting much of the info on him from the other side of the family, but that will take a little while.
    In the meantime, I have begun studying the photos I've gotten so far.
    One of them shows a manor-house like building, another shows a rather large group of captured german guns I believe out behind said building. The main photo of the building has this on the back- "Scenes from a Bavarian (?) castle outside Munich, Germany". The writing is kind of hard to read, so I'm not 100% on the "Bavarian".

SO my request- anyone know of anywhere on-line where I could find some photos of some of the smaller "castles" and such buildings in germany? Any ideas on determining the name and location of the castle in the photo?

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

C :

No scanner correct ? start by placing a search on your engine for Bavarian castles. Schliessheim bei München is one, which is a bit west of the city. Of course you have large lavish estates all around the city.....

E

3. AndyW

AndyW Member

The Schleissheim castle was also a Luftwaffe airfield (now they have a fine branch of the air museum, including He's and some rare VTOL-planes: http://www.deutsches-museum.de/zweig/werft/fws2.htm); without scanned pic it's really hard to find out, but maybe it's Schleissheim (http://www.oberschleissheim.de/seiten/gemeinde/mgemeind.htm) or the Nymphenburg castle in the middle of Munich (http://www.schloesser.bayern.de/seiten/objekte/mu_ny.htm).

This is just the needle in the hay, but maybe...

Cheers,

4. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

Nice... thanks for the info so far, gents. Erich- I do have a scanner, but at the moment it's in the closet and would take a lot to hook back up (including new SCSI card...). I do plan on doing so sometime in the not-too-distant future, mainly to share some of the pics. The one of the captured german guns is pretty impressive- looks to be at least 10 or more 88s, among other equipment. REALLY nice pic...
    ;) And hopefully more to come! ;)

I'll do some checking on those links tonight- thanks, Andy!
    I'm thinking though that Erich may have it-
    From the look of the photo, this would be more accurate- it does not really look like a castle- more like a manor house. The caption (probably written by my uncle) says castle, but mnaor house seems more likely.

I'm really excited about this...
    My great-uncle John died when I was young- but I did know that hew served in WW2. Among other things, he participated in the Battle of the Bulge, and I've heard some family rumors mentioning Patton.
    It hadn't even crossed my mind, but this christmas one of my uncles mentioned that he had some photos.
    I'm hoping that these few I got are only the first of many!

I'll keep you gents updated as to what I find!

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Crazy :

Well that's a bummer about the scanner ! too bad as this would make it much easier no doubt. Are the 8.8cm's dug in forming a heavy Flak position ? I ask this because the München realm I call it was surrounded with 88's and 105's in fixed and mobil railraod positions all around the cities perimeter. Also as Andy pointed out there were small satellite airfields. Ingolstadt-Manching being one with both day and night fighters based, and still used today.

E

6. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

This is a toughie since majority of the estates and Schlosses were built in Bavaria and around Berlin. It being a manor house is even more difficult. I have visited some of these estates in and around Garmisch and Munich so seeing it may help. Good luck.

7. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

Allright, I'll try my best to get a photo posted. Problem is not the scanner- the SCSI card for it needs to be replaced. Not sure when that will happen, either. Maybe see if I can scan it in at work...

Erich- the guns are not dug in. From the looks of it, the picture seems to show a "captured equipment depot". There are quite a few german AA guns (many 88s, at least 1 quad-20mm), plus a variety of vehicles, wagons-even a few bikes. It looks like this was a place that the allies dumped the equipemnt they had captured. However- one of the photos also shows a C-47 transport plane. SO- this "manor house" could well have been used as an interim airport. The only problem here is in the photos- the ones I have so far are the ones that were "laying out", and easy for my uncle to find. So I'm not sure if the photo of the C-47 is IN ANY WAY realted to the others (no dates, numbers, etc.). The only way I can relate the few from the "manor house" is through some common buildings in a couple pictures- but even there I'm not sure.

I'll see what I can manage! Thanks for the ideas!

[ 30. December 2002, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: CrazyD ]

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

C :

this will sound a bit bizarre, but maybe in the area of Dachau ? estates beyone the old towns perimetres and the evil camp. Once the inmates were removed and the wiresfence posts ripped down the area was used for storage in some capacity.
    also area south of München at the main airfield of Riem, where there are many buildings but none that would incoorporate an estate/manor type house. Plenty of concrete and flat lands for air travel if the C-47 is possibly connected in any way......just some more confusing thoughts for you ;)

E