Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bayonet Question (National Denki under Kokura supervision)

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by Pacman77, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Pacman77

Pacman77 recruit

Hi everyone, I've come to this forum in the hopes that some of you maybe be able to shed some light on a particular item I've come across recently. The item is a bayonet and after doing some research on it, I've found out that it may be particularly rare and I was wondering if any of you had an idea of what it is worth or should be insured for. Below are some pictures. I found a particularly helpful website that helped me identify "what" this is. It's a Japanese bayonet for the subcontractor National Denki under Kokura supervision.

Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II

I'm unable to specify what "finish" it technically has, but it has a hook design for the crossguard shape and the handle is fastened with rivets, which goes along with what the markings say it is. I would suggest that it is the "blue" finish, but I cannot tell. Also, what I'm assuming is the serial number at the very bottom of the hilt reads: what somewhat resembles a "W" followed by what I'd gather looks like a 3, although the stamping is not a typical English letter or number. The full serial for the item I have is "76939". The website mentions this particular marking. It reads, "Serial numbers in this range are preceded by two hiragana characters for "i" and "ro", the first two characters in the Japanese syllabary. These characters resemble "w" and "3", and these serial numbers have been misidentified as being in the 300,000 range." I would gather that this was mounted on a Type I Rifle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I appreciate any help I can get in determining "just exactly what I have". Thanks guys!

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

looks like japanese t-38 arisaka bayonet,valueable! not really! 100$ region I would guess...ray.....

3. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

4. Quigley

Quigley recruit

Pacman77,

You have a Type 30 bayonet made by Matshshita Kinzoku KK Arsenal.
    It is commonly known as "National Denki."

This was the second largest sub-plant of the Kokura arsenal that made bayonets.

These bayonets fit all the Japanese weapons that had a bayonet lug.

The serial number "i" "ro" 76939 indicates that the bayonet is in the 50th series, so the "actual" serial number would be 5076939.

Labar would refer to this as LB-106, Variation E (Labar, Bayonets of Japan, 2007:134).
    Johnson would identify this as JB-56, Matsushita National Variation C (Johnson, Japanese Bayonets, 1988:46 and 52)

These are the characteristics that make it a Variation E, LB-106:
    Bright fullered blade
    Two rivets and round washers in right grip
    Two round washers in left grip
    Contoured wrap-around grips
    Flat bird's head pommel
    Hooked cross guard.

The correct scabbard is metal with a tubular-tip.
    As I look at the dark area in the image of the scabbard, I do not see a tubular-tip, but I could be wrong.

This variation is the earliest made by National Denki and is uncommon, but not rare.

Q