Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Best documentary on the Eastern Front?

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe' started by Georgy, Jan 11, 2013.

1. patryk8820

patryk8820 Member

The first choice for me would be some episodes from the excellent "Battlefield" series:
    Series 1 - Ep. 04 - The Battle of Stalingrad;
    Series 2 - Ep. 03 - The Battle for Russia;
    Series 4 - Ep. 01 - The Battle of Kursk;
    Series 4 - Ep. 03 - Manchuria - The Forgotten Victory (not exactly Eastern Front, but an interesting episode);
    Series 4 - Ep. 06 - The Siege of Leningrad;
    Series 6 - Ep. 01 - The Battle for the Crimea.

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Some of the best I have ever watched were found by accident one day when I was snooping around on Hulu. There are (I think?), about 18 episodes, each one 45 minutes long. The program was/is called Soviet Storm, and while the narration in English is sometimes overpowered by the original audio, it still makes great viewing. Some re-enactment, some computer generations, some historical film footage.

If you open up Hulu, just type in Soviet Storm, and tah-da there they all are.

3. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

This series consists of eight episodes.

1. Barbarossa
    2. Moscow
    3. Leningrad
    4. Stalingrad
    5. Kursk
    6. Operation Bagration
    7. Liberation of Ukraine
    8. Berlin
    What makes this series different from others is time scope of individual episodes. For example, many other stories on Kursk usually end at the Battle of Prokhorovka which makes impression that otherwise catastrophic defeat looks just like an unpleasant setback. Instead, the Soviet Storm deals with consequences of the clash at the Kursk salient. This provides more insight into results of the battle.

Uplink likes this.
  4. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

Tamino;
    YOu can pick these up on YOUTUBE also: ★ World War 2 Battles ★ Operation Bagration - YouTube I guess you know how I will be spending the rest of this day-THANKS! Later this one was posted yesterday; ​Soviet Storm - The Liberation of Ukraine (7series) - YouTube

Attached Files:

5. Yaldy

Yaldy recruit

On Netflix (DVD) there was an amazing documentary on Stalingrad with actual survivor interviews from both sides. I'm sorry I can't quote the name of the documentary.

6. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

7. denny

denny Member

I kinds of envy you.
    Have seen (not watched) that there are many videos on Youtube that look interesting, but they are in German, so I cannot understand them. Would be nice to get another perspective on things. I just watched a Youtube video (believe it was BBC) about the imprisonment of German officers in England during the war. They were held in a VERY nice estate with what looked like minimum security surroundings. They were fed and treated very well. The whole estate was mic'd and the Brits recorded every word that was said for years.
    Anyway.....the German speaking war experts that were on the video seemed quite astute and professional. I am assuming the translation did the German Experts justice.
    best

8. Tamino

Quite the contrary: you're lucky. I belong to a midget nation that counts about two million and foreign languages are pure necessity. Sometimes I even don't realize in which language I'm listening or speaking.
    Don't worry; all important German documentaries are either synchronized in English or are used in production of English/American documentaries.

Edit: For example, Stalingrad, A trilogy, synchronized in English
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZpVN90BgK0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5v8Argltc0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kVhcJDck4A

There are indeed attempts to view the WWII from different angle to get more rosy impression but the truth is essentially what we all already know. There are indeed some shades of grey but the reality is basicaly more or less black and white.

9. denny

denny Member

Thank you for all of that.
    This was in English by the way.:)

10. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

THANKS!!!!!! Best ever and there are a few episodes on YOUTUBE; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqzlKdc_4BM

11. Karjala

Karjala Don Quijote

Do understand you perfectly here...
    Do not agree with you - again.

The reality is seldom black and white and definitely NOT with the WW2 - despite of the propaganda of the winners. For example both the original allies Germany and the USSR were only the two sides of the same coin.

12. Tamino

13. Karjala

Karjala Don Quijote

Well - keep on playing the same old (red) record and you'll get the same response...

14. CptBalu

CptBalu New Member

Definitely Soviet Storm series are the best choice. Deep-detailed story, amazing maps, tactics, portraits, and a unique feature of 3D bullet time effect makes you feel like if participated right in the events. Now could learn it has a second season, mostly extending the timeline with additional events.
    WW2 in HD Colour is generally a good quality series about the whole war, it's episodes related to easter operations also shall meet your requirements.

15. GunSlinger86

GunSlinger86 Well-Known Member

World War II in Color is pretty good, they show it on the Military Channel, now American Heroes Channel. Its one guy narrating, but its pretty detailed. And World at War with Lawrence Olivier is good as well.

16. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Soviet Storm was probably the best documentary I have seen on the war on the eastern front. I managed to watch a lot of it on YouTube with English narration (it original language was Russian) It hada lot of good graphics and reenactments as well as in depth information. Unfortunately when I was in the middle of it, they took down the English version because of some copyright issues I believe, and they only had the Russian version. I hope I can find the English version somewhere. but like I said it was probably the best documentary series I've seen about the Eastern Front

17. Tamino

18. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

Meant to pop this up on Tanks Giving Day... :dance4:

Tank Production: A Comparative Study of output in Germany, the US and the USSR

A First class presentation. Just packed with information. One of the best educational lectures I have ever seen.

Start at the 26 minute mark, for the second speaker: Jonathan Parshall

See his presentation notes at: http://www.combinedf...kProduction.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6xLMUifbxQ

19. dude_really

dude_really Doesn't Play Well With Others

Many of the SOVIET STORM links don't work outside the USA for copyrights reasons.
    However, I found a small clip on you tube that was visible and I recognized it from being aired on National Geographic History channel a year ago... in europe.

And , from what I remember was that it indeed showed many before unseen cool film footage, and at occasions puts attention to battles that are not very known in the west, or to smart schemes from russian individuals which deserves highlighting,...YET one DOES notice a soviet/russian BIASED script/text writing in which german feats are downplayed, the russian feats are upgraded, or their colossal mistakes were downplayed, etc.
    Anyone here NOT being able to see that is a simpleton or a Putin advocate . :3dglasses:

20. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

The SOVIET STORM episodes on the Air War are flat out phenominal. First class.

I have no problem downloading any of their episodes on YouTube here in Canada.