Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Best-looking guns?

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by von Poop, May 19, 2017.

1. harolds

harolds Member

Sorry for quibbling GT, but that gun would be a "vierling". Vier is four and drei is three. The idea is that German hunters could walk through the woods and take whatever mother nature would show them. I have a drilling made for the American market by Sauer and Sohn and imported by Charles Daley. The current barreling is two 12ga.s over a 257 Roberts barrel. I believe that the action was originally made about 1900 and was chambered for 12ga. over 30/30. Around 1957 it was sent back to Charles Daley and they sent it to Austria to have it rebarreled. The firearm shown above with all the gold inlay and engraving shows that it is the very top of the line. Mine is one step down but sold for about $600 in the very early 20th century. That was about the yearly wage for a working man back then. It's funny, but the Germans really took to the old 22 Hornet. A lot of their schutzen rifles were chambered in that caliber.

2. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Well-Known Member Patron  

Thank you, Harolds, I can only count in English, Southern English which requires fingers, and French! :) I have gotten to handle a war trophy drilling in 12 ga and 8X57R. I was curious about the 257 Roberts, not exactly common in the US but a sweet shooter. Popular in my youth. I was surprised to see 22 Hornets in German guns at gun shows and had, I believe, a Winchester 43 in the extended family. I converted that gun to no avail. $600 was indeed big money back then.'

3. von Poop

von Poop Waspish WW2|ORG Editor

bronk7 likes this.
  4. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member