Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Best World War 2 Comics

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Wolfy, Jun 27, 2009.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

My Mother collected the Classics Comics series when she was a kid-had most of them but-through the ages and through five kids-most were not in very good condition-had he Nr 1 issue which was The Three Musketeers-great cover art. Sadly, some SoB stole these from us as well as a collection of the original Wonder Woman comic books that some friends gave us many years ago. These books are all worth a premium these days and if sold-could easily have paid for a house worth around $350,000 or so.

The first comics I collected were, Sgt. Rock, GI Combat, Wierd Western Tales, Jonah Hex, Scalphunter, and Wierd War Tales.

2. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

man its a shame about the comics damn shame. reminds me of Nicholas Cage who used to be huge into comics i forget what of his was stolen but he was so hurt by it i think it was a #1 of something, but he sold his whole collection off because he didn't want to have that much stuff in the house i think he said like he had all the ghostriders and such.

It's a damn shame that happened to you.

Funny side story sorry to go off topic, my dad was huge into collecting baseball cards so was i, but when he was a kid they lived in an apartment in Queens, NY well my grandma each year would have my dad throw out his cards saying he would get new ones next year because of the limited space. My dad used to go through the baseball price guide showing me what cards he had, he said about 4 of the Mickey Mantle rookies which at one point was going at about 35k+ each.

C.Evans and Wolfy like this.
  3. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

Aye there was quite a fuss about it at the time.

4. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

I'd second that if someone hasn't already, luckily it's available in a single volume now, or various other editions. Original it was an insert in "RAW" a NY based almost art-house comic which was not only hard to track down but quite expensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAW_(magazine)

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi FG-it happened three times. I KNOW who stole my first collection-but could never prove it. The first time around-al of my Superhero stuff was taken-and they didn;t bother with the War and Western titles. The 2nd time around-only my Marvel and Valiant collections were taken-and the third and last time-all my Superhero stuff were taken. Apparently the thieves had plenty of time to check through all my collections each time and picked out the then-hottest stuff.

Get this, at one time-I had 250 copies of the "New" Spiderman title that Todd McFarlane did the artwork on. These 250 I also bought from his shop located in Puyallup (SP?) Washington. These were the regular cover. Then I had 250 copies of the Silver cover-100 copies of the Gold cover, and 50 copies of the signed books in Gold and another signed in Silver and 10 in black ink. I also had 50 copies that were "bagged" copies. All in all-I had at least 860 copies of Spiderman #1. I had at least 50 copies of each Spiderman issue after that till issue #15. This collection was going to be my "Retirement" funds.

6. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

:( damn awful, DELETED pathetic i have stories of things being stolen too, unfortunate that this type of shit happens.

Moderator - Watch the language.

7. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Jeez...Battle and Warlord- that brings back memories! :cool:
    Both The Hotspur and The Valiant were good in their time too, though not exclusively WW2.

8. Phantom of the Ruhr

Phantom of the Ruhr Member

I just love how they portrayed Skorzeny. :D

9. Richard

Richard Expert

GRW likes this.
  10. Sentinel

Sentinel Member

11. PizzaDevil

PizzaDevil Member

Does someone know where I can download the Sgt Rock Comics? Or Read them somewhere online? :D

12. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

err well its wrong to download comics just as it is for movies or any form of media, plus comics are in its best form in your hands. digital comics like from marvel i dont like to read, but marvel has a paid subscription to read digital. Not sure about sgt rock

13. PizzaDevil

PizzaDevil Member

I'm asking because, they aren't here.

14. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

best ww2 comics??? Macker33... Its a joke macker... No but victor...warlord...maybe most of valiant.. Hotspur.. Hornet...mod standing orders is a good comic..

15. PizzaDevil

PizzaDevil Member

Can someone give a site where World War Two Comics are ??

16. krecik

krecik recruit

You are invited to take part in the 3rd edition of a graphic story competition on the Warsaw Rising – organised for the first time as an international contest.

Information: Powstanie '44 w komiksie - konkurs

17. liberation sea

liberation sea Member

Heres some pages from a comic that i did the illustrations for entitled "Liberation sea"...it takes place in north africa(tunisia) and follows the action into italy...finished 2 volumes and workin on the third right now.If you would like to see the first 16 pages from volume 1 you can check it out here http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/album.php?aid=90116&id=98154884854

Attached Files:

18. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

I always enjoyed the 'Commando's' series comic books. It spread all throughout the war, from the ETO to the PTO. IT focused on all three services in the forces through all the nations including Germany, Russa, England, Australia, US, and even the Chinese and Arabian nations.

19. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

Maus was incredible, and I believe it began as a small strip in National Lampoon in the early 70's. It wasn't an Underground comix by any means; those would be more like The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, ZAP, Slow Death, etc. Maus was alternative, and excellent.

As I kid, I remember reading GI Combat, The Haunted Tank, and the like.

20. 1986CamaroZ28

1986CamaroZ28 Member